"Modern hotel close to the metro station."
The hotel was easy to get to - just take the S1 or S2 to Warszawa Ochota station, and walk up the west (back of train) exit stairs to Towarowa, and you're there. Check in was easy. Staff was courteous. Room was modern and clean. TV has a number of channels, but basically only BBC World for anglophones.
The hotel is geared towards business visitors. The decor is modern, with fridge, coffee, pant press, document locker, etc. The breakfast is overpriced, but geared towards business visitors who travel by corp card.
The old town is a few kilometers hike - perfect for me, as I love long hikes to clear my mind and see more that just the regular touristy stuff. My suggestion for a day hike:
1. Walk east, down the main boulevard (Aleje Jerozolimskie). In a couple of kilometers you'll pass the main station, the "Golden Terraces" shopping centre, the Palace of Culture and Science (wow!)
2. Take a left on Marszalkowska, then a quick right under the Galeria Centrum shopping center under pass, which will take you down a walking street called Chmielna, which is lined with cafes, bars (great for night life). Cross the large angular intersection to the end of Chmielna.
3. Take a left on Nowy Swiat, a broad street with about 2km of restaurants, shops, bars, histrical buildings, etc. Keep walking, and...
4. Ta-da! ...you'll end up at the main square of the old town. Venture in and walk around and through to the new town, or:
5. Cross the bridge to see the zoo.
Jangyman from Toronto, Canada