Book your room at The Townsend Hotel
Please enter your travel dates.
Luxury Room, 1 King Bed - Non-Refundable
Luxury Suite, 1 King Bed - Non-Refundable
Suburban Detroit European-style hotel in Birmingham
With 150 rooms, the Townsend Hotel Birmingham/Detroit fits neatly into the suburban Detroit small-town setting of Birmingham, a quaint home to a variety of shops, restaurants, galleries, and theaters, just 19 miles from Detroit.
Fine food, fitness
Townsend Hotel Birmingham/Detroit's Rugby Grille maintains a reputation as one of Michigan's great restaurants, serving American-Continental cuisine; a 24-hour fitness center offers individual headsets with TV monitors.
300-thread-count Egyptian-cotton linens with down duvets and pillows establish a sense of elegant comfort. Bathrooms include terry-cloth bathrobes, marble soaking tubs, and Gilchrist & Soames toiletries.Information missing or incorrect? Tell us!
The Townsend Hotel
- At your hotel
The suburban Townsend Hotel Birmingham/Detroit is 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) from Detroit Zoological Park and 8 miles (13.7 kilometers) from Detroit Institute of Arts.
In addition to the highly-regarded Rugby Grille, the Townsend also offers The Corner, a New York-inspired lounge with light fare; the Townsend Bakery, serving European-style pastries; and afternoon tea in the lobby. Additionally, selections from the Rugby Grille's menu are available through 24-hour room service.
15,000 square feet (1,393 square meters) of flexible meeting space is available, including a ballroom that can accommodate up to 360 people. Banquet or leather boardroom chairs furnish 8 meeting rooms, which are decorated with crystal chandeliers and cherry wood paneling. The concierge is available 24 hours a day to advise guests on local entertainment options.
In the business center, high-speed Internet access is complimentary, as well as 3 computer workstations, copying, and scanning machines. Complimentary newspapers are provided in the lobby.
This is a smoke-free property. Fines apply for violations.
- Smoke-free property
- Smoke-free property (fines apply)
- Luggage storage
- 24-hour front desk
- Air-conditioned public areas
- Audiovisual equipment
- Banquet facilities
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Business center
- Business services
- Complimentary newspapers in lobby
- Coffee/tea in lobby
- Computer rental
- Concierge desk
- Multiple large conference rooms
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Event catering
- Express check-in
- Express check-out
- Fireplace in lobby
- Fitness facilities
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Wireless Internet access - surcharge
- Computer station
- Limo or Town Car service available
- Multiple small meeting rooms
- Multilingual staff
- Number of floors - 6
- Total number of rooms - 150
- Secure parking
- Parking (surcharge)
- Parking nearby
- Parking nearby (surcharge)
- Room service (24 hours)
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- Year Built 1988
- Meeting facilities size (feet) - 15,000
- Street parking (metered)
- Meeting facilities size (meters) - 1394
- Number of meeting/conference rooms - 8
- Security guard
- Number of buildings/towers - 1
- Technology helpdesk
- Wedding services
- Stay connected
Available in all rooms: Wireless Internet access (surcharge), Wired high-speed Internet access (surcharge)
Available in some public areas: Wireless Internet access - surcharge
- Park your car
Parking (surcharge), Secure parking, Street parking (metered), Valet parking (surcharge), Parking nearby, Parking nearby (surcharge)
- In your room
- Climate control
- Connecting / adjoining rooms available
- Air conditioning
- Shower/tub combination
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Wireless Internet access (surcharge)
- Complimentary newspaper
- Designer toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Daily housekeeping
- Hypo-allergenic bedding available
- In-room safe
- Iron/ironing board
- Wired high-speed Internet access (surcharge)
- Cable TV service
- Microwave (on request)
- Pay movies
- Premium bedding
- Premium TV channels
- Refrigerator (on request)
- Rollaway/extra beds available
- Turndown service
- Down comforter
- Egyptian-cotton sheets
- Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
- Pillowtop mattress
- LCD TV
- Eat and drink
Rugby Grille- Gourmet dining room decorated with cherry wood paneling and marble fireplace. Adjacent full bar. Offers American-Continental cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner daily. Lighter fare available late afternoons and late evenings. Weekend brunch.
The Corner- New York-inspired urban-style bar. Modern décor with mahogany, mosaics and mirrors. Small-plate, Asian-inspired light fare. Open late afternoon to late night. The Corner is closed Sunday-Tuesday, but remains available for private functions.
The Tea Lobby- Afternoon tea served in the hotel's elegant lobby Tuesdays through Saturdays. Fare includes finger sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, lemon curd, a selection of fine teas. Reservations required.
The Townsend Bakery- European-style breads, tortes, and pastries. Primarily for take-out, but a few seats and tables provided. Open Tuesday-Saturday early morning to early afternoon.
Open 24 hours, the hotel's 1,100 square foot, mirror-walled fitness center offers recumbent bikes, elliptical cross-trainers, weight machines, treadmills, free weights, and step machines.
The Pine Trace Golf Club is located 6.5 miles from the hotel. Designed by Arthur Hills, the 18-hole course covers 193 wooded acres.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel; fees may apply.
- Golf - driving range nearby
- Golfing nearby
- Running track/path nearby
- Aerobics nearby
- Pilates classes/instruction nearby
- Yoga classes/instruction nearby
- Sports center nearby
- Playground nearby
- Bowling alley nearby
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- Accessible parking
- In-room accessibility
- Accessibility equipment for the deaf
- Braille or raised signage
The Fine Print for The Townsend Hotel
- When you arrive
Minimum check-in age is 21
Check-in time starts at 4 PM
- When you leave
Check-out time is noon
- How you can pay
Accepted at this hotel: American Express, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Your furry friends
- You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on hotel policy.
Service animals exempt from fees/restrictions
- The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
- Fee for in-room wireless Internet: USD 9.95 (for 24 hours, rates may vary)
- Valet parking fee: USD 24.00 per day (in/out privileges)
- Pet fee: USD 150.00 per room, per stay plus USD 5.00 one-time cleaning fee
- A late check-out fee will be charged
- Refrigerator fee: USD 20.00 per stay
- In-room microwave fee: USD 10.00 per stay
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 20.00 per day
- We Should Mention
The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.
Awards & Affiliations
- A Green / Sustainable Property - First Party CertifiedThis property has performed a self-assessment, also known as First Party certification, of its sustainable tourism practices through Green Lodging Michigan thus taking steps to understand its impact on one or more of the following: environment, community, cultural-heritage, the local economy. The property's claims have not been independently verified by a second or third party certification program.
- The property is a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts.