Book your room at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
4.5-star luxury hotel, walk to Wellington Cable Car
+VIP Access™ Hotel
We carefully hand-picked this hotel based on its dedication to service and excellent guest reviews.
Expedia +gold members receive free room upgrades and +gold and +silver members get other perks upon availability at check-in.See details
Located in the heart of Wellington, this luxury hotel is within a 10-minute walk of Wellington Cable Car, Beehive, and Old Government Buildings. Civic Square and St Paul's Cathedral are also within 15 minutes.
This smoke-free hotel features 2 restaurants, a full-service spa, and a fitness center. Additionally, a bar/lounge, a 24-hour business center, and a conference center are onsite.
All 268 rooms provide conveniences like refrigerators and coffee makers, plus 24-hour room service and LCD TVs with satellite channels. Guests will also find WiFi, wired Internet, and minibars.Information missing or incorrect? Tell us!
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor features a full-service spa and a fitness center. Dining is available at one of the hotel's 2 restaurants. A bar/lounge is on site where guests can unwind with a drink. A computer station is located on site and high-speed wired and wireless Internet access is available for a surcharge.
This 4.5-star property offers access to a 24-hour business center and meeting rooms. Event facilities include a conference center and conference space. This luxury hotel also offers tour/ticket assistance, coffee/tea in the lobby, and concierge services. Onsite parking is available (surcharge).
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor is a smoke-free property.
- Babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- Conference space
- Total number of rooms - 268
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- 24-hour front desk
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Concierge services
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Express check-in
- Express check-out
- Fitness facilities
- Full-service spa
- Computer station
- Tours/ticket assistance
- WiFi (surcharge)
- Wired (high-speed) Internet access - surcharge
- Number of floors - 14
- Spa treatment room(s)
- Meeting rooms
- Luggage storage
- Long-term parking (surcharge)
- Number of restaurants - 2
- Number of meeting rooms - 8
- Conference center
- Coffee/tea in lobby
- Television in lobby
- Wedding services
- Free newspapers in lobby
- 24-hour business center
- Year Built 1972
- Smoke-free property
- Number of buildings/towers - 2
- Free use of nearby fitness center
Family Friendly Amenities
- Babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
Available in all rooms: Wireless internet access (19 NZD per 24 hours surcharge), Wired internet access (19 NZD per 24 hours surcharge)
Available in some public areas: Wireless internet access (- NZD per 30 minutes surcharge), Wired (high-speed) Internet access - surcharge
Long-term parking (surcharge), Valet parking (surcharge)
- Air conditioning
- Pay movies
- Private bathroom
- Free newspaper
- Coffee/tea maker
- Daily housekeeping
- Free toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Shower/tub combination
- Satellite TV service
- Iron/ironing board
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- WiFi (surcharge)
- Wired high-speed Internet access (surcharge)
- Dial-up Internet access (surcharge)
- In-room massage available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
- Room service (24 hours)
- LCD TV
Where to Eat
Breakfast is available for a surcharge and served each morning between 6:30 AM and 10 AM.
Whitbys Restaurant - This restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar.
Sojourn Cafe and Bar - This café serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and light fare. Guests can enjoy drinks at the bar.
24-hour room service is available.
Nearby Things to Do
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or nearby; fees may apply.
- Kayaking nearby
- Sailing nearby
- Scooter/moped rentals nearby
- Mountain biking nearby
- Golfing nearby
- Ecotours nearby
- Golf lessons available nearby
Ella Bache has 3 treatment rooms including rooms for couples. Services include hot stone massages, massages, facials, and body wraps. A variety of treatment therapies are provided, including Ayurvedic.
- Hot stone massage
- Number of treatment rooms 3
- Couples treatment rooms
- Manicures and pedicures
- Body wraps
- Body scrubs
- Ayurvedic treatments
- Body treatments
- Facial treatments
- Accessible path of travel
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- Accessible parking
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time starts at 2 PM
Minimum check-in age is 18
Special check-in instructions:
A credit card imprint is required at check-in. If a valid credit card cannot be produced, a $100 NZD cash bond must be paid at check-in.
Check-out time is 11 AM
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on hotel policy.
Parking height restrictions apply
- Breakfast fee: NZD 31 per person (approximately)
- Fee for in-room wireless Internet: NZD 19 (for 24 hours, rates may vary)
- Fee for in-room high-speed Internet (wired): NZD 19 (for 24 hours, rates may vary)
- Fee for wireless Internet in public areas: NZD - (for 30 minutes, rates may vary)
- Valet parking fee: NZD 27 per night (in/out privileges)
- Rollaway bed fee: NZD 50 per night
- Onsite credit card charges are subject to a surcharge
We should mention
Children 12 years old and younger stay free when occupying the parent or guardian's room, using existing bedding.
Awards & Affiliations
Official New Zealand Rating provided by Qualmark®
Qualmark® assigns an official star rating for accommodations in New Zealand. This Hotel property is rated 4 star plus and is displayed on this page as 4.5 stars.