2nd time around, no go.
Posted Dec 22, 2016
This is the second time around at this place. I like the area and location, so I decided to give it another try. Well, I was really disappointed with this visit. First, I was in a room where the heat was shut off prior to check in. It laterally took 8+ hours to warm the room up. Fortunately for me, I had my last day at my 3rd shift job, so I did not have to sleep the warming up process. Everyone knows that shutting the heat off does not save money, especially if it takes 8+ hours to warm it back up. It was a Carrier unit, so if that is the best they can do maybe Carrier does need to move its operations overseas. I digress. Next was the elevator being out. It was out the entire time I was there, so I was not about lug my laundry upstairs to the second floor guest laundry. The other thing is the outlets. Where the microwave, fridge, and TV was located there is only enough plugs for two plugs. See the problem. 3 cords 2 plugs equals one big hassle. Finally the bathroom is gross. There is mold in the shower on the wallpaper. That means there is probably a lot of unseen mold. Also the shower head was calcified and needed to be cleaned terribly. I am allergic to mold, so I have to be careful. I coughed all weekend, since checking out I have not coughed once. Also the non-smoking facility sign is a joke. All you smelled in the hallway was smoke on a completely non-smoking floor. Go figure! The pool area needs some major updating as well as the fitness room.