Posted Oct 24, 2016
When I opened the room door and flipped the switch just inside, the room remained dark because the bulb was burnt. Worse than that, a smell like sewer gas greeted me. I figured that perhaps the dry climate of ABQ had evaporated the water from the traps, so I ran water in the sink and tub, turned on the ventilation, and went out for dinner. When I returned the smell was even worse, and I considered asking for a different room, but had only a few hours to catch some sleep before an early flight. At some point in the night, the smell was so bad it actually woke me up, and made it difficult to get back to sleep. I think it was actually coming in through the ventilation, and in the wee hours, I heard loud radio communication between what may have been maintenance personnel, because shortly afterwards, the smell diminished.