Posted Nov 5, 2016
SNAFU during check in and not available for a receipt at checkout, bugs in the rooms, noisy HVAC units, smelled like bad cigars and smoked in for the last 100 years, all as a "non-smoking hotel. Bathroom and kitchen had traces of cigarette burns on the vanities and counters, as well as burn marks on the floors. The main living area, you could not turn the light off, as the lamp was plugged into the wall and there was no wall switch for it, or switch on the lamp
Comment from Hotel Management
Nov 21, 2016 by Manager, Hotel Management
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize when you checked in there were some challenges at check in. Also, I want to apologize that the room you were given had a odor. In response to your feedback, I am coaching our team on making sure all rooms are clean, smoking policy is enforced, and maintenance issues are corrected. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.