Shocker. Never Again.
Posted Oct 14, 2016
Probably one of my worst hotel experiences. Due to our flight being delayed, we weren't able to stay there for the first of our two booked nights, which we informed the hotel about, letting them know they could rent out our room to someone else for the night if they wanted (we knew we couldn't get a refund, but we figured it might be useful for them to have an extra room available).
When we arrived the next day, we were told we couldn't even have the breakfast (that was pre-paid) anymore, seeing how we were half an hour late for it, but they'd see about getting us "compensation" in form of a massage or drinks - we checked in the evening only to be told to "wait, we will get back to you" - which of course never happened. The staff was very patronizing and rude in general, especially compared to the lovely staff we were met with in the other hotels we went to.
Our room looked very nice at first glance, on a closer look we found small bloodstains on our sheets and realized we only had one working electrical socket - connected to a lamp with a broken cable, that was fixed with tape but still had wiring hanging out that gave off small shocks.
The worst part however was the mosquito net, which had huge holes in it, and led to me having 18 mosquito bites the next morning. We were hoping for the breakfast to make it up to us, but wrong again. Two options available, neither of which tasted great. Not the best way to start a holiday.