We were at Coco Beach during hurricane Earl and the resort has no backup generator so the resort was without power for 46 hours. They brought us 2 small candles for the first night and then we didn't hear from them again. There was a window that cracked in our condo during the hurricane. After we got back, the resort billed us over $200 for the window!! Even though it was not our fault!! Also, after the power came back up, our condo did not resume air conditioning. We ate all of our meals at the resort. 5 of 6 in our party got violently ill. Probably due to the lack of refrigeration. I reported it to the hotel staff along with the information about our air conditioning. They said that they would get back with us on our request for a discount due to all of the problems we had, and they never bothered to get back with us. I am still furious that they charged our credit card for the cracked window!!
Comment from Hotel Management
Sep 30, 2016 by Dir. Guest Services , Hotel Management
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are delighted that you found our location and proximity to the Belize Barrier Reef for diving to be fantastic and that our pool and bar kept you entertained.
Regarding Hurricane Earl, which unfortunately came through during your stay, we too are disappointed. Power failures due to a storm of this magnitude are unavoidable and out of our control. In advance of the hurricane, we hand-delivered notices to all of our guests explaining the situation and that were likely to lose power and that we strongly advise everyone to stay inside during the storm, and to inform every one of our hurricane emergency plan. Incidentally, that plan is 22 pages long and very thorough in order to prevent injury and loss of property. We were concerned that during the heavy winds of the hurricane, you were opening your door and going outside. Our management needed to ask you to stay inside for your own safety. Because management directions were not followed, the door was left open and as a consequence of this, the window was broken.
We are most sorry that people in your group became sick. During your stay, none of our staff were informed of this. The typical gestation period for food related illness is 72 hours. Our restaurant took every precaution during the power outage and had a generator specifically for refrigeration and care of all food that was served to our guests.
In response to your comments, we have looked internally to remedy any errors and will continue to work to provide the best in service to all of our guests. Thank you again for sharing your experience.