Don't go on a bank holiday!
Posted May 27, 2015
This is a quaint hotel, with some lovely features and nice staff, however the overall experience was very disappointing because of the following:
- the location is by the university on the very edge of town, not near any other facilities such as shops or restaurants
- the acclaimed restaurant was fully booked upon arrival on a Saturday night
- the restaurant was closed on Sunday because of a private event which turned out to be a dinner for about 10 people
- the restaurant was closed all day and evening on Monday because of the bank holiday and there was one member of staff around all day
- we felt it would have been courteous to
Mention upon booking the lack of avaibility at the restaurant for residents and the general lack of services available during the period, the hotel felt practically closed
The staff who were around always tried to help us and the chef even tantalisingly brought us a sample of his beef Wellington whilst we were tucking into our own cheese supper on the terrace... A kind gesture but it also pointed out what we were missing!
If you have a car and don't want much more service than a B&B then you might like this place, otherwise you'll need to take lot luck with the timing I fear...