Get an overview of this hotelCentrally located modern luxury hotel housed in historic 19th century jail
Popular property highlights
Base of Beacon Hill
Formerly the storied Charles Street Jail, this national historic landmark and its newly constructed guestroom tower are located one-third of a mile from Boston Common, and a short walk to Back Bay and Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
Destination food and beverage
Clink Restaurant emphasizes flavor and the use of seasonal and local ingredients; Liberty Bar provides food and drinks in the lobby rotunda; Scampo offers Italian inspired cuisine; Alibi, a second bar, is set in Boston’s former “drunk tank,” complete with brick cell walls.
Whether exploring secret gardens in Beacon Hill, taking a stroll along the Charles River, through Boston Garden or enjoying the shopping along Charles or Newbury Streets, you will find that The Liberty, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, Boston is the epicenter of all things quintessentially Boston.
- Comfortable rooms
- Good location
- Good for nightlife
- Onsite bar and onsite restaurant
- Helpful staff
- Clean guestrooms
- Parking wasn't ideal
The Liberty, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, Boston
Located at the foot of Beacon Hill, The Liberty, a Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel, Boston comprises a richly restored 1851 building (formerly the Charles Street Jail) and a new 16-story tower. Soaring 90 feet, the lobby was formerly the jail's atrium and features the original three-story arched windows and dramatic catwalks. The jail's former exercise yard is now a beautifully landscaped courtyard.
Opened in 2007, The Liberty is one block from both the Charles River Esplanade and Massachusetts General Hospital. A "T" public-transit stop is right outside the hotel. The Massachusetts State House, with its magnificent dome, is a half-mile away. Attractions within 1.5 miles include the Museum of Science, Boston Common, the Public Garden, the aquarium, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, and the Old North Church.
Guests of The Liberty are welcomed with a glass of sparkling wine. CLINK., the hotel's acclaimed restaurant, features small plates, wines by the glass, and signature cocktails. Seating is beneath the soaring lobby rotunda or in the dining area by an original jail cell. The Alibi bar is a Boston hotspot, with drinks and light fare served amid vestiges of the jail (including brick cell walls) or out on the private garden patio with sunset views.
There are concierge services, tours/ticket assistance, luggage storage, and a safe-deposit box located at the front desk. Babysitting or childcare is available for a surcharge. Dance the night away at the nightclub or enjoy the terrace. Have a business function in one of the 10 meeting rooms. The entire hotel is smoke-free.
- 24-hour front desk
- Babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- Number of floors - 16
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Year Built 1851
- Number of bars/lounges - 2
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Business center
- Concierge services
- Conference space
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Fitness facilities
- Computer station
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Limo or Town Car service available
- Meeting rooms 10
- Total number of rooms - 298
- Luggage storage
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- Number of restaurants - 2
- Smoke-free property
- Number of buildings/towers - 2
- Wedding services
- Television in common areas
Valet parking (surcharge)
- Pay movies
- Air conditioning
- Coffee/tea maker
- Microwave (on request)
- Free bottled water
- Refrigerator (on request)
- Private bathroom
- LCD TV
- In-room safe (laptop compatible)
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- Free newspaper
- Designer toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Daily housekeeping
- Hypo-allergenic bedding available
- Iron/ironing board
- Premium bedding
- Premium TV channels
- Turndown service
- Room service (24 hours)
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
Where to Eat
CLINK. - An open kitchen, butcher block tables, and gold leather seats amid vestiges of original jail cells. Creative menu fusing European culinary tradition with contemporary American innovation.
Scampo - Contemporary space serving Italian cuisine with global influences, house-made breads baked in a tandoori oven, pastas, and entrées.
Alibi - Located on the entry level and set in the old “drunk tank” of what was the Charles Street Jail. celebrity mug shots on the walls. Cocktails and late-night snacking. Outdoor, off-street patio with sunset views. Open every evening until late.
Liberty Bar - Located within the 90-foot lobby rotunda of the hotel. Extensive wine and cocktails list features house-infused liquors and tasty treats like Veal Sliders and addictive Spicy Mixed Nuts.
Catwalk - Housed on a catwalk encircling the lobby's rotunda with stunning views. Serving a dinner and bar menu featuring a selection of items including Baked Oysters Casino with Butter, Shallots and Bacon; Mushroom Sliders on Brioche with Cream Cheese and Sherry; and a twist on the classic with Ralph's Potato Chips with Smoked Truffle Salt.
Room service - Available 24 hours a day.
Nearby Things to Do
The Liberty's fitness center is open 24 hours a day.
One block from the hotel, a footbridge leads to the Charles River Esplanade, a paved riverside path ideal for walking and jogging.
The recreational activities listed below are available at the hotel or nearby; fees may apply.
- Bicycle rentals nearby
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- In-room accessibility
- Roll-in shower
Minimum check-in age is 21
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Check-out time is noon
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 25 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets allowed for an extra charge of USD 100 per accommodation, per stay
- Dogs only
- 2 per room (up to 50 lb)
- Specific rooms only
- Pet-friendly rooms can be requested by contacting the property at the number on the booking confirmation
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
- Resort fee: USD 22.89 per accommodation, per night
- Fitness center access
- Fitness/yoga classes
- Business center/computer access
- Internet access
- In-room safe
- In-room bottled water
- Breakfast fee: between USD 25 and USD 50 per person (approximately)
- Valet parking fee: USD 55.00 per night (in/out privileges)
- Pet fee: USD 100 per accommodation, per stay
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 25 per night
- Liberty Hotel Starwood
- Liberty Hotel Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel Boston
- Liberty Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel
- Liberty Luxury Collection Hotel Boston
- Liberty Luxury Collection Hotel
- Liberty Luxury Collection Boston
- Liberty Luxury Collection
- Liberty Starwood Luxury Collection Boston
- Liberty Starwood Luxury Collection
- The Liberty Hotel A Starwood Luxury Collection Hotel
We should mention
The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation. This property allows pets in specific rooms only (surcharges apply and can be found in the Fees section). Guests can request one of these rooms by contacting the property directly, using the contact information on the booking confirmation.