Filthy an unsafe
Posted Nov 3, 2015
Travelling alone, the desk announced to a lobby of men my room number. I went up and locked the door. The room faced a city street on a third floor balcony missing curtains and with a shared balcony that did not lock (latch was in pieces on the floor). Heat was provided by a space heater which had a broken base, constituting a fire hazard. When I turned it off, I burned my fingers. The "non smoking" room stank of cigarettes and the blue fluid from portable toilets. I asked to be moved to a safer room, but was told nothing was available. As the neighbourhood was so rough, I elected to barricade myself in the room until morning. I elected to walk away from the other two days I had prepaid, but with my life.