Posted Sep 26, 2016
First of all, the hotel staff was very professional and courteous. This review is not targeted towards them. However, This is a message to the hotel owners. Your hotel has a mold problem. My first room the AC would not work and there were obvious signs of mold on the bathroom. I also noticed some DIY bandaids on some previous apparent issues with the plumbing. I asked the hotel attendant for another room, which she happily accommodated. I walked in the 2nd room and it was obvious the mold is in the HVAC as well. I have two young children and no way was I staying there. I was refunded my money and left. If you decide to stay here its your fault.