Peering through the window at old southern #architecture that just exudes charm. #roadtrip #blue Charles Cotesworth Pinckney ceded the land on which the Market is built to the City of Charleston in 1788. He stipulated that a public market be built on the site and that it remain in use as a public market into perpetuity.
To fulfill this requirement, the low buildings that stretch from Market Hall to the waterfront were built between 1804 and the 1830's. These originally housed meat, vegetable and fish markets and rented for $1.00 per day -- or $2.00, if the space had a piece of marble to keep the meat or fish cold. Butchers were known to throw meat scraps into the streets, attracting many buzzards that were nicknamed Charleston Eagles. Through the years, the sheds have survived many disasters, including fires, tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes and bombardment.
Three years after the Masonic Hall on the corner of Meeting and Market Streets was destroyed by fire, the current Market Hall was built in 1841 from a design by Edward Brickwell White. He was paid $300 for his plan, a copy of the Temple of the Wingless Victory in Athens. It was originally used by the Market Commissioners for meetings, social functions and space rental underneath.
Since the 1970's, the original sheds and the areas opposite the Market on both sides have housed many small and unique shops, each with its own flavor, history and character. Some of the products for sale include locally crafted sweetgrass baskets, clothing, artwork, jewelry, local souvenirs, perfumes, food, and other gift items. The vegetable and fruit vendors are still there alongside the basket weavers who speak Gullah and entice you to buy their goods.
The City Market, one of the oldest in the country, is significant enough to be part of a permanent exhibit entitled “Life in Coastal South Carolina c. 1840” at the American History Museum of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC. This was from a early morning walk around Charleston. Most people weren't up yet, so it was just beautiful and peaceful.
#green A stretch of 13 colorful, historic houses in downtown Charleston on East Bay Street. It's such an easy walk from Waterfront Park!
The name was derived from the pastel colors these houses were painted after their restoration during the 1930's and 40's. #colorful Checking out the streets of downtown Charleston during my Southern US #roadtrip. #weekendgetaway #red One of prettiest churches in downtown Charleston. The bells that were once housed in the steeple were melted down into cannons, with the promise that once the Civil War was over they would be replaced. It would be nearly 100 years before the bells were replaced. Only four of eleven were actually replaced. Also during the Civil War the steeple was used as a target by Yankees, causing much damage to the steeple and church. Blessedly, the church has survived and still present in Charleston to show pride and resilience in the face of adversary. The Old City Jail stands as a haunting reminder of the city's darkest past. The jail, which was operational from 1802 until 1939, housed Charleston's most infamous criminals, 19th-century pirates and Civil War prisoners. The Old Jail building served as the Charleston County Jail from its construction in 1802 until 1939. In 1680, as the city of Charleston was being laid out, a four-acre square of land was set aside at this location for public use. In time a hospital, poor house, workhouse for runaway slaves, and this jail were built on the square. When the Jail was constructed in 1802 it consisted of four stories, topped with a two-story octagonal tower.
Charleston architects Barbot & Seyle were responsible for 1855 alterations to the building, including a rear octagonal wing, expansions to the main building and the Romanesque Revival details. This octagonal wing replaced a fireproof wing with individual cells, designed by Robert Mills in 1822, five years earlier than his notable Fireproof Building. The 1886 earthquake badly damaged the tower and top story of the main building, and these were subsequently removed. The Old Jail housed a great variety of inmates. John and Lavinia Fisher, and other members of their gang, convicted of robbery and murder in the Charleston Neck region were imprisoned here in 1819 to 1820.
Some of the last 19th-century high-sea pirates were jailed here in 1822 while they awaited hanging. The jail was active after the discovery of Denmark Vesey's planned slave revolt. In addition to several hundreds of free blacks and slaves jailed for their involvement, four white men convicted of supporting the 1822 plot were imprisoned here. Vesey spent his last days in the tower before being hanged. Increased restrictions were placed on slaves and free blacks in Charleston as a result of the Vesey plot, and law required that all black seaman be kept here while they were in port. During the Civil War, Confederate and Federal prisoners of war were incarcerated here. Charleston doesn't not look nor feel like a U.S. city. It looks a lot more like Europe. Located within the walled city of Colonial Charles Towne, Trott's Cottage is one of the few remaining pre-Revolutionary structures.
Judge Nicholas Trott (1663-1740) owned the property prior to 1709. Judge Trott, born in England, came to America in 1699 to accept appointment by the Lords Proprietors as Attorney General for the Southern Portion of the Province of South Carolina.
In 1718, while serving on the Vice-Admiralty Bench, Trott presided over the trail of the infamous I couldn't get enough of the rainbow houses and perfect palm trees. The Riviera Theatre was constructed in 1939 by Albert Sottile, President of Pasttime Amusement Company. The Art Deco architecture is in the Egyptian style. It served the Charleston community as a motion picture theatre until 1978. The theatre is situated on the site of the Academy of Music which opened in 1869 and was one of America's best known theatres. It was best noted for the perfection of its acoustics. At the Academy of Music appeared such famous artists as Theodore Thomas's Orchestra, Maurice Barrymore, The Grau Opera Company, John Drew, The Booths, Joseph Jefferson, Mrs. Fiske, Lillian Russell, Otis Skinner, Irving & Terry, Weber & Fields, Bernhardt, Schumann-Heinck, Maude Adams, Paderewski, and other world-renowned performers in all the range of professional entertainment. Built between 1807 and 1811, the east wing was added after 1831. Residence of William Aiken, first president (1828-1831) of the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. This company inaugurated the American Steam Railroad era at Charleston, Christmas Day, 1830, by using for the first time on this continent, a steam locomotive in regular service to pull a train of cars on a track. It also was the first in this country to carry the mail. The property was inherited by Governor William Aiken, Jr., who sold it in 1863 to the South Carolina Railroad Company, which later became a part of the Southern Railway System. The Aiken-Rhett House was built for Charleston merchant John Robinson in 1820. A typical Charleston double house, the building consisted of a central hallway with two rooms on either side. The front door was located on the Judith Street side of the house, where the piazza (a Charleston term for a double porch) is now located.
Robinson lived in the Aiken-Rhett House for approximately eight years. When he lost five ships at sea in 1825, he was forced to sell the house to meet his financial obligations. The house became the property of William Aiken, Sr., in 1827.
Aiken, an Irish immigrant who accumulated a large fortune as one of the city's leading merchants, used the house as rental property. When he died suddenly in a carriage accident, his vast holdings were divided between his wife, Henrietta Wyatt, and his only son, William Aiken, Jr.
In 1833, the young William Aiken and his new bride, Harriet Lowndes, decided to make the house their primary residence and began an extensive renovation of the property. Three main changes took place: the front entrance was moved, the first floor was reconfigured, and a large addition was added to the house. They made it, by all accounts, one of the most impressive residences in Charleston.
William Aiken, Jr., ultimately became governor of South Carolina, a member of the U. S. House of Representatives, and one of the state’s largest slaveholders. He was elected governor of South Carolina in 1844 and became a member of the U.S. House of Representatives in 1851.
The back lot of the Aiken-Rhett House is where the slaves worked and lived. The two largest buildings were the stable and carriage house and the kitchen and laundry building. The enslaved residents probably took their meals communally in the kitchen.
The slaves slept in rooms arranged dormitory style above the kitchen and stable. Many of the rooms had fireplaces and paint evidence suggests that many of the rooms were painted vibrant colors. The kitchen and laundry appear to have been painted light blue, a common nineteenth-century color for such workspaces. The gothic revival façades added to the buildings illustrate the slave owners' attempt to put the best possible face on urban slavery.
In November 1863, Jefferson Davis visited Charleston for the only time during the Civil War and stayed approximately one week as the Aikens' guest. General P.G.T. Beauregard moved his headquarters to the house, which was out of reach of the heavy Federal bombardment of Charleston, in December.
William Aiken, Jr., died at his summer home in Flat Rock, North Carolina, in 1887. He left his property to his wife and daughter. Harriet Aiken continued to live in the house until her death in 1892. Her daughter, Henrietta, and son-in-law, Major A.B. Rhett, raised their four daughters and one son in the house. Upon Henrietta's death, the house was divided between her children and their heirs. Two sons, I'On Rhett and Andrew Burnet Rhett, Jr., continued to live in the house. Downtown Charleston and its unique #architecture #roadtrip Day 52 - Checking out Charleston.
The historic wrought iron gates of Charleston are beloved by so many of the city's residents and visitors. This circular one on King Street was my favourite.
#Green
#Patterns
How gorgeous is this? It's incredibly easy to fall in love with the charm of Charleston. St. Michael's Church was built between 1751 and 1761 at the corner of Broad and Meeting streets on the site of the original wooden church built in 1681 by St. Philip's Church, It had been damaged in a hurricane in 1710 and a new St. Philip's Church was built several blocks away on Church Street. In 1727, what was left of the old wooden church was demolished.
It is not known who designed St. Michael's, but it shows the influence of St Martin-in-the-Fields, London, designed in the 1720s by James Gibbs. Samuel Cardy was the builder. The walls are of brick that was stuccoed over and painted white. The two-story portico facing Broad Street was the first of its size in colonial America and features Tuscan columns.
An organ by John Snetzler was fitted in 1768 but only the case remains; new organ 1994 by Kenneth Jones of Bray, Ireland.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960, and it was included in the first promulgation of the National Register in 1966.
St. Michael's Churchyard, adjacent to the church is the resting place of some famous historical figures, including two signers of the Constitution of the United States. The Dock Street Theatre is Charleston's last surviving hotel from the antebellum period. The silhouette of its wrought iron balcony against the spire of St. Philip's church may be the single most photographed spot in the city. The main portion of the building was constructed around 1809 as Planter's Hotel. The hotel was built by Alexander Calder and his wife, who did so by renovating several pre-existing buildings at the site. The main entrance may not have been built until 1855 by J.W. Gamble.
The hotel was used extensively by planters from the midlands of South Carolina, who traveled to Charleston during horse-racing season. It was noted for its wonderful food and drinks during this era, and the South's famous Planter's Punch may have originated here. Guests to the hotel passed through the recessed porch with brownstone columns, into the lobby, and up a grand staircase that ascended to a drawing room. While much of the interior has been altered, these elements of the antebellum hotel remain and were adapted in subsequent uses of the building. A series of additions to the hotel throughout the 19th and 20th centuries can be easily identified by differences in brick coloration.
This theater is said to have been the first building built specifically for theatrical performances in America. Planter's Hotel occasionally housed one of the city's theatrical troupes, which performed at the nearby New Theatre during the mid-19th century. The most notable actor of this troupe was Junius Brutus Booth. Booth was the patriarch of an outstanding family of actors, which included John Wilkes Booth, President Lincoln's assassin. Junius Booth, who stayed at the Planter's Hotel, allegedly tried to kill his manager here in 1838. Today the Dock Street Theatre is home to the Charleston Stage Company, South Carolina's largest professional theater production company, and houses the city's Cultural Affairs office as well as The City Gallery, an exhibition space for local artists. Farmers' and Exchange Bank is a Moorish Revival-style bank building built in 1854 in Charleston, South Carolina. It was rehabilitated in 1970 and again in 1990.
The building is recognizable for its use of muqarnas -- characteristic of Persian and North African architecture—as well as its large arched windows and striking red sandstone facade. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973. St. John's Lutheran Church houses Charleston's oldest Lutheran congregation. Built from 1816 to 1818, the design of the church is attributed to well-known Charleston architect and church member Frederick Wesner. Numerous other Charleston craftsman and builders contributed to its design and construction. The rectangular, stuccoed brick building combines Federal and Baroque elements. The Italianate steeple with bell-shaped roof was not added until 1859, and was built by David Lopez, contractor for the Kadal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue. While it is not clear who designed the steeple, famous miniaturist and architect Charles Fraser submitted several steeple designs to the church prior to its construction. The church was damaged in the Charleston earthquake of 1886 and the 1891 hurricane, after which a recessed chancel with memorial windows was also added. The church also was damaged by Hurricane Hugo in 1989 but has been restored.
The first Lutheran congregation had been formally organized in Charleston by 1752, and their first building dedicated by 1764. This wooden building with a steeple stood behind the site of the current church on Clifford Street, which was known in 1788 as One of many old churches in Charleston. Walk down Church Street and you can't miss it. How appropriate. On a beautiful day like this one, it only makes sense to stroll through Waterfront Park and relax next to the Pineapple Fountain. Maybe grab an Italian ice on the way, since there is no shortage of vendors selling it around downtown Charleston. The famous Charleston pineapple fountain. #Spring #Fountains #Springfun The Blake Tenements were built between 1760 and 1772 by Daniel Blake, a planter from Newington Plantation on the Ashley River. The building was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. The building was renovated for use as an annex to a nearby county office building in 1969. 82 Queen is a gourmet restaurant and bar popular among locals and tourists alike. Known for its Southern hospitality and local cuisine, 82 Queen has garnered several notable awards including 'Best City Restaurant' award from Southern Magazine (three time recipient), and the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine (five time recipient).
For my starter, I had the opportunity to indulge in the rich and creamy Award Winning She Crab Soup ($7 for the bowl). My choice of entrée was the Grilled Chicken Breast & Low-country Crab Cake ($14) served with fried green tomatoes, cheddar grits, and she crab gravy. I found the crab cake and she crab gravy to be quite delicious and the cheddar grits complimented it quite well. Walking through history Such a beautiful church, one of many found in Charleston. It's actually the oldest religious structure still standing in the city! People wander inside to take a look all the time. Here's a hint though - If you see a woman in a long white dress preparing to enter, you may want to come back later for a personal tour. Almost a century before it was built, the ground on which George Walton Williams would build his home was hallowed in the tradition of optimistic patriotism. 14-16 Meeting Street in downtown Charleston was originally part of the plot of the Lowndes House, the property of Gov. Charles Pinckney, who hosted George Washington three times in May of 1791.
Mr. Williams was highly regarded throughout Charleston as a business man and humanitarian. Having amassed a great fortune throughout his life, Mr. Williams decided to build a grand residence at 16 Meeting Street as a testament to his desire for the reemergence of Charleston following the Civil War. The construction of the house took five years and required the talents of hundreds of otherwise unemployable local artisans and craftsmen for its creation.
After Mr. Williams's death in 1903, the house went through a succession of occupants and uses, gradually deteriorating until, in 1972, it was condemned. The house was subsequently purchased by a Charleston native who spent the next 25 years and 5 million dollars restoring it. This important house was built by Theodore Gaillard, Jr., Cooper River Planter and East Bay factor. Owned successfully by General Jacob Read (1815), James Schoolbred (1819), and Washington Jefferson Bennett (1851). All notable Charlestonians who each improved and embellished it in taste of this period. Bennett's descendants lived in the house until 1948. Notable for its T-shaped plan, which allows for every room a southern exposure and for elaborate Adam decoration of its rooms.
From 1950 to 1951, the property was home to Palmer Gaillard, a direct descendent of the builder and a prominent mayor of Charleston. The house was designed by Architect Ezra Waite and built in 1765-69 for a prominent Charleston citizen from whom it takes its name. It is notable chiefly for its architectural excellence; such historical interest as the house possesses springs directly from its architectural distinction. Because it was the most splendid townhouse in Charleston, it was occupied as a military headquarters in two wars—during the Revolution by Sir Henry Clinton, and in the last days of the Civil War by Federal officers of the army of occupation.
The Miles Brewton House is generally conceded by authorities to be the best example of the Built for St. Michael's Church Rectory by Miller & Fullerton. It was sold in 1823 to Dr. William Read who served in the American Revolution as a Surgeon General of the Colonial Army. It is now a private residence. This three story stuccoed brick house on high brick basement is presumed to have been built after the Revolution. The cast iron gates to the yard were added in the 20th century. Can you name the man this silhouette memorializes?
Behind him is a monument dedicated to the soldiers of the Washington Light Infantry who fought in the Civil War. Oh no! I gave away the answer. The light was bright enough to get a decent #Patterns
Day 52 - Checking out Charleston.
The old exchange and provost dungeon was worth the $10 admission fee. Not only was it a great way to escape the relentless Carolina sunshine but l also learned a lot about South Carolina's battles to break free from British rule. I also learned about the famous gentleman pirate who was kept prisoner in this dungeon. Tour the Aiken-Rhett house, Left in its original condition (the Historic Charleston Foundation purchased the house and decided to adopted a conservation approach to the house and grounds) it provides visitors with a glimpse into the pre and post civil war era and how the wealthy Charleston families lived. Arriving to Charleston in Style! Established in 1681, St. Philip's is the oldest religious congregation in South Carolina. The first St. Philip's Church, a wooden building, was built between 1680 and 1681 at the corner of Broad and Meeting streets on the present day site of St. Michael's Episcopal Church. It was damaged in a hurricane in 1710 and a new St. Phillip's Church was begun a few blocks away on Church Street. After being delayed it was finished in 1723 but burned to the ground in 1835. Work on the present church was begun that same year and completed the next. The steeple was added between 1848 and 1850.
A prominent early rector of St. Philip's was Rev. Thomas Frost, a fellow of Caius College, Cambridge, who became rector of St. Philip's in 1785. Rev. Frost died in 1804 at 46 years of age. Rev. Thomas Downes Frost, son of the first rector Frost, was elected assistant minister of St. Philip's on March 12, 1815. The second Rev. Frost died an early death at age 26 in 1819.
The wife of another early rector, Gideon Johnston, was Henrietta Johnston, who became the first recorded female artist in the American colonies. Another artistic first with connections to the church was Mary Roberts, the first female American miniaturist, whose burial was recorded in the register in 1761.
The tower of St. Philip's served for many years as the rear tower of a set of range lighthouses serving to guide mariners into Charleston's harbor; the front tower of the range was located on Fort Sumter. The church is one of only two in the United States known to have served such a function. Hibernian Hall, a National Historic Landmark, was built in 1840 to provide a meeting place for the Hibernian Society, an Irish benevolent organization founded in 1801. The Hall is the only extant building associated with the National Democratic Convention of 1860, one of the most critical political assemblies in this nation's history. Hibernian Hall served as the convention headquarters for the faction supporting Stephen A. Douglas. It was hoped that Douglas would bridge the gap between the northern and southern delegates on the issue of extending slavery to the territories. The first floor of the Hall was used for meetings, while the second floor was filled with hundreds of cots for the delegates. The convention disintegrated no candidate was able to summon a two-thirds majority vote. This divisiveness resulted in a split in the Democratic party, and the election of Abraham Lincoln, the Republican candidate.
The Hibernian Society continues to meet regularly, holding annual elections, alternating each year between a Roman Catholic and Protestant president. The Hall still serves as the location for many events, including an annual St. Patrick's Day celebration, society balls and other brilliant social occasions. HōM is a quaint upscale little neighborhood burger joint located along the upper portion of Charleston's famous King Street. Unlike most burger joints, HōM has completely redefined the concept of a burger with an assortment of different meats, homemade sauces, toppings, seasonings, and the arrangement of sorts. It is also quite vegetarian friendly, with a fair amount of delicious entrees to choose from.
The dish I indulged upon, referred to as Completed in 1763 by an unknown architect, it was the home of John Rutledge, a governor of South Carolina and a signer of the U.S. Constitution. John's younger brother Edward was another governor of South Carolina and lived at the Edward Rutledge House at 117 Broad Street. Following the American Civil War, the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina met here, from 1866 until 1868.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973. Christopher Werner is believed to have done the wrought iron work. In 1881, a wealthy cotton merchant named Francis Silas Rodgers set out to build an elegant home in Charleston, S.C., worthy of his family of 13. Upon its completion in 1886, his vision was realized in this magnificent home, described upon his death as the finest in Charleston, a city known for its architectural treasures. To build his home, Rodgers hired only the finest of artisans. Daniel G. Wayne served as the architect for the nearly 24,000-square-foot, four-story home, creating what is today the best example of Second Empire Style, characterized by its mansard roof, in Charleston.
While on a trip to Europe, Rodgers commissioned two grand matching chandeliers, which still hang today, and is said to have brought back their maker to ensure proper installation. A noted marble and stone worker and sculptor of the day, Emile T. Viett, carved the elegant marble mantle pieces found in the home's double parlors. Other noted features include Lewis Comfort Tiffany glass panels, Philadelphia pressed brick and a rooftop cupola with panoramic views of the historic city.
Shortly after its completion, the home survived the great earthquake of August 1886, though there was some damage which was repaired. Rodgers and his heirs lived in the home until 1920 when the Scottish Rite Cathedral Association purchased it. They later sold it in 1940 to the Atlantic Coast Life Insurance Company.
Richard Widman, the current and fourth owner, purchased the house in 1997, recognizing that it had all the ingredients to become the finest luxury hotel in Charleston. The location of the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse was the site of the gallows for public executions during British rule. After the Revolutionary War, the property was the location for a police guardhouse, which was destroyed during the devastating 1886 earthquake. Officials determined it an ideal site for a new post office and courthouse.
In 1887, Congress authorized funds for construction. South Carolina architect John Henry Devereux designed the building. He was an Irish immigrant who started his career as a plasterer, but soon became a noted architect and builder of churches and public buildings in South Carolina's Lowcountry. In 1872, he built what would be the tallest building in South Carolina until 1973, St. Matthew's German Evangelical Lutheran Church. It remains the tallest building in Charleston and the tallest church in the state. In 1885, Devereux accepted a job as Superintendent of Construction and Repairs of the U.S. Treasury Department, and it was in this capacity that he designed the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. He selected the Second Renaissance Revival style to convey the grandeur associated with public architecture at that time.
Construction of the building was not finished until 1896 when a gala viewing complete with a German band took place. Completed for a cost of $500,000, the building is credited with playing an important role in the downtown revitalization of Charleston at the end of the 19th century.
The building was individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, and is also within the boundaries of the National Register and National Historic Landmark Charleston Historic District. Today, the building continues to function as a post office and courthouse. The imposing tower of this church is one of the many famous landmarks in downtown historic Charleston! #architecture Known as Walking down random alleyways, I found a graveyard with people that are buried from over 200 years ago. Bring on the meat sweats with the best bbq in Charleston! Make an effort to get here, it's well worth it. Another view of St. Phillip's at dusk. Beautiful sunset at the Brittlebank Park! The Philadelphia alley. I really enjoyed finding cute little alleyways like this one all over Charleston! The French quarter. By far one of the best places for breakfast in town. Conveniently located across the street from Charleston's popular City Market, Barbara Jean's Restaurant and Bar features a selection of traditional Southern dishes rich in flavor.
One great dish to try is the The pineapple fountain is an iconic symbol of Waterfront Park. This park is a great place to get a view of the Charleston Harbor and surrounding areas. The College of Charleston is the oldest municipal college in America. It was founded in 1770 and chartered in 1785. It was then reorganized as a city college in 1835. One beautiful example of the rich and varied architecture of the mansions along the Battery. This just so happened to be my favorite. Quiet day in late march at the waterfront park. View is from the steps of the art gallery. Saw this little guy wondering around. He was kind enough to stop and pose for me! Unitarian church graveyard. One of the oldest Unitarian churches in the U.S. It is VERY overgrown. Day 52 - Checking out Charleston.
Rainbow row is a lovely section of East Bay Street. Back in the 1700's it was seen as a slum area. Then in the 1900's it got a face lift and the walls were painted in Caribbean Colours. Downtown Chas
December 2016.
#colorful Beautiful all girls day school campus founded in 1909, in historic buildings. Downtown Rainbow Houses Color and charm around every corner in beautiful Charleston! Peter Bouquet the Younger built this house shortly after the lot was given to him in July 1770, by his father Peter Bouquet, the senior, a Huguenot immigrant. The younger Bouquet became a major in the Revolutionary forces, a member of the General Assembly, a Privy Councilor, and later State Treasurer and Commissioner of Sequestrated Estates. He planted in St. Paul's Parish. The superbly handsome Georgian decoration of the interior is notably like that of Colonel John Steward's house circa 1772 at 106 Tradd St. Other notable features are the handsome Regency style front door frame, done in stucco, and the second floor balcony. This Georgian style home built in 1772, was the home of Colonel John Stuart, who was the King's Superintendent of Indian Affairs. Plantation Style outside of Charleston Found this adorable door on Queen street in Charleston on a #weekendgetaway with my sister. Such an amazing city with really neat architecture. Charleston is such a romantic city 💕
#Charleston #explore #roadtrip The Glass Onion is hands down the best place in Charleston for reasonably-priced #delicious southern food. The menu changes daily depending on what local, fresh ingredients are availalbe. This fried quail, mashed potatoes and corn bread were fantastic! They serve the best mashed potatoes ever! Early morning venture! Tour the Aiken-Rhett house, Left in its original condition (the Historic Charleston Foundation purchased the house and decided to adopted a conservation approach to the house and grounds) it provides visitors with a glimpse into the pre and post civil war era and how the wealthy Charleston families lived. Day 52 - Checking out Charleston.
The South Carolina state flag hanging proudly on meeting street.
#Green Cotton gin building on the McLeod Plantation property... an interesting stop while traveling through the Charleston area #green
http://www.scnhc.org/destination/mcleod-plantation-historic-site Just an amazing city to walk around and enjoy. It's full of history and great food. #green #lowcountry #southerncharm Tour this historic 1820 former governor's house and grounds. Charleston, SC - Decorative Railing
Charleston's historic center boasts architecture and embellishments that speak to the designer or artist in all of us. It also boasts a vibrant food and culture scene.
#Patterns Beautiful sunset at the Brittlebank Park! Loved this alley near the Charleston Music Hall. Looking down on King Street from atop a parking garage. Since Charleston has limits on how high a new building can be built, parking garage tops can be great places to view the city. I still daydream about the food from both here and Queen Street Grocery... @chasparksconservancy
While walking along the infamous Rainbow Row in Charleston, SC, we stumbled upon this beautiful Waterfront Park. We couldn't have asked for a better sunset! The colors tied in perfectly with the Rooftop view of Charleston Beautiful southern homes overlooking Charleston Harbor. Chalk art on the corner of Market and Church in Charleston. The house belonged to Nathaniel Russell, a Rhode Island merchant, who spent $80,000 on this Adamesque building before 1809. He and his wife, Sarah Russell, lived in the house during the early 19th century. It was sold to the state in 1955 by the Pelzer family, and today is used by the Historic Charleston Foundation as offices and also for tours. It is currently a museum open for tours.
The house is widely recognized as one of America's most important Neoclassical houses and features three important geometric designs: a front rectangular room, a center oval room, and a square room in the rear. Other rooms of the house include: the turquoise-color First-Floor Oval Dining Room; the Second-Floor Drawing Room, where the women of the house retired to after dinner; and the Withdrawing Room. The Fireproof Building, also known as County Records Building, is located at 100 Meeting St., Charleston, South Carolina. It was designed by Robert Mills and constructed by John G. Spindle. It was completed by 1827. At that time, it was the most completely fireproof building in America and it is believed to be the oldest fireproof building in America today. The building is in the Palladian style, with Doric porticoes north and south. Inside, the building has an oval stair hall lit by a cupola. The stone stairs are cantilevered through three stories.
Mills was an early advocate of buildings designed to include fireproof materials. A fire destroyed much of the upper floor of the Fireproof Building that he designed, but the county records on the first floor were protected due to his fireproofing measures.
After 1865, it was used for Charleston County offices. Today, the building is the home of the South Carolina Historical Society. Nice atmosphere with reasonable lunch prices. Really enjoyed the battered flounder sandwich along with the lump crab sandwich BLT pictured! This three story brick structure was constructed circa 1848 as a wedding gift by Robert Martin, who brought the property in 1837 when his daughter, Ellen Daniel Martin married her second cousin, Joseph Aiken, a native of Winnsboro SC. Aiken, a planter and a prominent lawyer in Charleston, and later a financial agent for Governor William Aiken, was also interested in architecture and the design of the house maybe attributed to him as well as Russell Warren, who is believed to have designed the similar Kerrison Mansion at 138 Wentworth. However, an early photograph of the structure suggests that James M. Curtis may have been the architect. This advertisement appeared in the S.C. Gazette on 6th Jan., 1784, following Mr. Wainwright's death
Charleston Waterfront Park- Pineapple Fountain is very tempting on a hot southern day. #waterlust Built by Barnard Elliott, a rice planter and retained by his family until 1854. It was Victorianized in the late 19th Century; Remodeled with salvaged wood work after 1911; Restored by the College of Charleston in 1971. The Gate Temple
Completed in 1803, this ornamental temple is reminiscent of classical It was built from 1767-1771 as the Royal Exchange. The first cupola was damaged by a hurricane in the early 1800s, the second deteriorated before the Great Earthquake of 1886, and the third was not placed until 1981 when the building opened as a museum.
The structure has served as a customhouse, mercantile exchange and military prison and barracks. The building was badly damaged by Union artillery fire during the Civil War and the great earthquake of 1886; it was repaired after each occasion.
In 2012, a study was completed of the building's use as a British prison during the Revolutionary War. Soon after taking control of Charleston in 1780, the British started housing prisoners in the Exchange, but not exclusively in the It was originally built in 1753 as a Statehouse of British Royal Government. It was partially destroyed by fire in 1788 and rebuilt in 1792 with a third floor addition. It was restored to it's 1972 appearance in 2001 by Charleston County. The Magnolia plantation in Charleston, SC produced the largest amount of rice for the U.S. at the height of the Civil War.
Charleston is one of my favourite American cities because of its architecture and countryside. Road sign to places around the world from the aquarium in Charleston, SC! The Notebook theatre - Charleston - 21/102015 Rainbow Row in Charleston, South Carolina, is a collection of restored pastel antebellum homes built in the 1700s.
#UStravel
#UShistory
#antebellum
#charming
#Charleston
#city
#SouthCarolina
#RVLife
www.RVLuckyOrWhat.com Rainbow Row - downtown Charleston - a busy street to try and get a clear shot Day 52 - Checking out Charleston.
The old city market dates back from 1841 and is full of independent sellers. Art work and the famous woven sweetgrass baskets are in plentiful supply here.
photo by

Get an overview of this hotel3-star aparthotel with marina and free breakfast

Popular property highlights

Free breakfast
Free parking
Pets allowed
Free WiFi
Swimming pool

Location

Situated in Charleston, this aparthotel is 2 mi (3.2 km) from Medical University of South Carolina and 2.7 mi (4.3 km) from College of Charleston. Charleston City Marina and Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park are also within 3 mi (5 km).

Property Features

A marina, an outdoor pool, and a fitness center are available at this smoke-free aparthotel. Free full breakfast is provided, as well as free WiFi in public areas, free self parking, and a free manager's reception. Other amenities include a spa tub, coffee/tea in a common area, and a business center.

Apartment Amenities

Each apartment provides a kitchen with a refrigerator, a stovetop, a microwave, and a dishwasher. For a bit of entertainment, an LCD TV comes with cable channels, and guests can also appreciate conveniences like a sofa bed and a coffee/tea maker.

Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview

Property Amenities

Property Amenities

In addition to a marina, Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview features an outdoor pool and a spa tub. Wired and wireless Internet access is complimentary. This 3-star property offers access to a business center and a meeting room. Guests can enjoy a complimentary breakfast as well as a complimentary manager's reception (may not be available daily). Event facilities measure 644 square feet (60 square meters). This business-friendly aparthotel also offers a fitness center, tour/ticket assistance, and barbecue grills. Complimentary self parking is available on site.

Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview is a smoke-free property.

  • Free use of nearby fitness center 
  • Express check-in 
  • Picnic area 
  • Barbecue grill(s) 
  • Coffee/tea in common areas 
  • Elevator/lift 
  • Fitness facilities 
  • 24-hour front desk 
  • Marina on site 
  • Business center 
  • Free breakfast 
  • Express check-out 
  • Tours/ticket assistance 
  • Free self parking 
  • Dry cleaning/laundry service 
  • Free WiFi 
  • Outdoor pool 
  • Free wired Internet 
  • Smoke-free property 
  • Safe-deposit box at front desk 
  • Conference space size (meters) - 60 
  • Area shuttle (surcharge) 
  • Free reception 
  • ATM/banking 
  • Conference space size (feet) - 644 
  • Laundry facilities 
  • Spa tub 
  • Television in common areas 
  • One meeting room 
  • Number of floors - 4 
  • Fireplace in lobby 
  • Free newspapers in lobby 
  • Not available: Air conditioning 
  • Not available: Kitchen 
  • Not available: Towels 
  • Not available: Linens 
  • Not available: Washer 
  • Not available: Fireplace 
  • Not available: Kitchenware 
  • Not available: TV 
  • Not available: Toiletries 
  • Not available: Oven 
  • Not available: Iron 
  • Not available: Dining area 
  • Not available: Pet-friendly 
  • Not available: Clothes dryer 
  • Not available: Outdoor space 
  • Not available: Stove 
  • Not available: Refrigerator 
  • Not available: Microwave 
  • Not available: Hair dryer 

Family Friendly Amenities

  • Outdoor pool  
  • Free Wi-Fi  
  • Kitchen  
  • Laundry facilities  
  • Sofa bed  
  • Full-sized refrigerator/freezer  
  • Microwave  

Internet

Available in all rooms: Free WiFi , Free wired Internet

Available in some public areas: Free WiFi , Free wired Internet

Parking

Free self parking

Room Amenities

  • Premium TV channels 
  • Coffee/tea maker 
  • Hypo-allergenic bedding available 
  • In-room climate control (air conditioning) 
  • Air conditioning 
  • Phone 
  • Microwave 
  • Cookware, dishware, and utensils 
  • Kitchen 
  • Daily housekeeping 
  • Hair dryer 
  • Iron/ironing board 
  • Desk 
  • Cable TV service 
  • Sofa bed 
  • Premium bedding 
  • Blackout drapes/curtains 
  • Free WiFi 
  • Dishwasher 
  • Full-sized refrigerator/freezer 
  • Number of bathrooms -  
  • Partially open bathroom 
  • Shower/tub combination 
  • Free toiletries 
  • Stovetop 
  • Free wired Internet 
  • HDTV 
  • Individually furnished 
  • LCD TV 

Where to Eat

Guests are offered a complimentary full breakfast. A complimentary manager's reception is offered on select days.

Nearby Things to Do

An outdoor pool and a spa tub are on site. Other recreational amenities include a fitness center.

The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or nearby; fees may apply.

  • Water skiing nearby 
  • Golfing nearby 
  • Parasailing nearby 
  • Surfing/boogie boarding nearby 
  • Windsurfing nearby 
  • Rafting nearby 
  • Bicycle rentals nearby 
  • Ecotours nearby 
  • Basketball on site 
  • Hiking/biking trails nearby 
  • Golf lessons available nearby 
  • Kayaking nearby 
  • Sailing nearby 
  • Scooter/moped rentals nearby 

Accessibility

If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.

  • Accessible bathroom 
  • Roll-in shower 
  • In-room accessibility 

Property Policies

Check-in

Check-in time ends at midnight

Check-in time starts at 3 PM

Minimum check-in age is 21

Check-out

Check-out time is 11 AM

Payment types

Children and extra beds

  • Children are welcome.
  • Rollaway/extra beds are not available.
  • Cribs (infant beds) are not available.

Pets

  • Pets allowed for an extra charge of USD 250 per pet, per stay

You need to know

Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.

Government-issued photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges.
Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. Special requests cannot be guaranteed.
Please note that cultural norms and guest policies may differ by country and by property. The policies listed are provided by the property.
No rollaway/extra beds available
No cribs (infant beds) available

Fees

Optional extras

The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
  • Pet fee: USD 250 per pet, per stay
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.

Property Name

  • Residence Inn Downtown/Riverview Charleston
  • Residence Inn Marriott Downtown/Riverview
  • Residence Inn Marriott Downtown/Riverview Hotel
  • Residence Inn Marriott Downtown/Riverview Hotel Charleston
  • Residence Inn Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview Aparthotel
  • Residence Inn Marriott Downtown/Riverview Aparthotel
  • Residence Inn Marriott Charleston Downtown/Riverview

Sorry, we seem to have had an issue loading our review content. Try again?

Top Positive Review

Top Positive Review

Top Critical Review