Worse experience EVER
Posted Sep 21, 2016
From the minute I tried to check in (the two staff members were battling over whose cord worked in whose smartphones) I was ignored and never addressed professionally. After waiting, I was told to only park in a certain area and that for breakfast there is a charge, although the pool is on your floor it is closed at 10pm SHARP.
The walk to our room creeped us out as half the lights were blown, the rug was stained and faded and the doorways and trim where yellowed and dirty. (Stunk of cigarette smoke) One doorway was propped open and we noticed the rug was half pulled up and under construction. (This was at 8pm at night!) No air was on in our room and it smelled really bad, combination of odors and cigarette smoke. The beds were hard as plywood and the pillows thin and flimsy. Both evenings my husband I tossed and turned and barely slept. The bathroom was small and shabby also, the tile in the bath/shower was full of mildew and mold. Way too much not be noticed!! As we were checking out we planned to tell them all our concerns. After waiting for 20 minutes we were ignored and told just to go, that an email would be emailed.(Has not BTW) We were never given a chance to express our concerns. I truly feel giving this stay even one star is too much.