Get an overview of this hotelModern Gold Coast hotel near Chicago's Magnificent Mile
Popular property highlights
Lake Michigan: 2 blocks
Ambassador Chicago's Gold Coast location is within a short walk or cab ride to the finest shopping and dining as well as the majority of downtown Chicago businesses, while being nestled in a quiet and exclusive residential neighborhood.
An onsite restaurant and bar offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The Library houses a coffee bar during the day and transforms into a lounge at night, serving specialty cocktails and plated exotic fare.
Ambassador Chicago’s 285 spacious and oversized guest rooms and suites are individually furnished with integrity, taste, and superb functionality.
- Comfortable rooms
- Good location
- Overall property condition
- Helpful staff
- Clean guestrooms
- Parking wasn't ideal
With a rich history rooted in Chicago’s Jazz Age, Ambassador Chicago is the city’s original boutique hotel dating back to 1926. Located in the heart of the Gold Coast, the iconic property has hosted the who’s who of the 20th and 21st centuries, having served as a local beacon to countless celebrities. Ambassador Chicago is nestled among stunning mansions in a quiet, gilded neighborhood tucked into the center of the Windy City, offering incredible views of Lake Michigan and with easy access to Chicago’s main shopping boulevard, Michigan Avenue. With 285 spacious guest rooms, a 24-hour fitness center, two restaurants, thoughtful programming, and amenities curated by local artisans and chefs, Ambassador Chicago maintains its distinct and legendary character while offering guests an authentic Chicago experience.
- Airport transportation (surcharge)
- Multilingual staff
- 24-hour front desk
- Number of floors - 17
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Number of bars/lounges - 2
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Conference space
- Express check-out
- Fireplace in lobby
- 24-hour fitness facilities
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Free wired Internet
- Express check-in
- Luggage storage
- Total number of rooms - 285
- Limo or Town Car service available
- Meeting rooms 10
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- 24-hour business center
- Conference space size (feet) - 8600
- Long-term parking (surcharge)
- Offsite parking discounted rates available
- Conference space size (meters) - 799
- Smoke-free property
- Coffee shop or café
- Television in common areas
- Wedding services
- Concierge services
- Computer station
- Free WiFi
- Year Built 1926
- Number of buildings/towers - 1
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi , Free wired Internet
Long-term parking (surcharge), Valet parking (surcharge), Offsite parking discounted rates available
- Air conditioning
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Hair dryer
- Shower/tub combination
- Cable TV service
- Iron/ironing board
- Premium bedding
- In-room safe
- Daily housekeeping
- Private bathroom
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
- In-room climate control (heating)
- Free WiFi
- Frette Italian sheets
- LCD TV
Where to Eat
The Library features original wood moldings that have been restored to interpret a traditional English Gentleman's Club, with 20-foot ceilings of exposed, reclaimed wood beams and Douglas Fir wood columns. Breakfast and Lunch available.
The Restaurant has been a landmark feature of Ambassador Chicago dating back to when it opened in 1938. The room has an 18-foot ceiling, floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking a sculptural Boxwood garden, and Yellow Raindrop trees from Wisconsin.
Nearby Things to Do
Lake Michigan's 35-mile-long path for running, walking, bicycling, or in-line skating is two blocks from the hotel. Bikes, in-line skates, and recreational equipment can be rented at several beachfront locations. In summer, Oak Street Beach and North Avenue Beach, both a half-mile from the hotel, are open for swimming.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel; fees may apply.
- Boat tours nearby
- Golfing nearby
- Rafting nearby
- Sailing nearby
- Water skiing nearby
- Free bicycles on site
- Hiking/biking trails nearby
- Kayaking nearby
- Scooter/moped rentals nearby
- Rowing or canoeing on site
- Golf lessons available nearby
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Minimum check-in age is 21
Special check-in instructions:
Check-out time is noon
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Up to 3 children 17 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 50.0 per day.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets allowed for an extra charge of USD 125.00 per accommodation, per stay
- Dogs and cats only
- 2 per room (up to 50 lb)
- Restrictions apply
- For more information contact the property at the number on the booking confirmation
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
Government-issued photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges.
Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. Special requests cannot be guaranteed.
Service animals exempt from fees/restrictions
- Breakfast fee: between USD 9.00 and USD 25.00 per person (approximately)
- Valet parking fee: USD 67 per night (in/out privileges)
- Pet fee: USD 125.00 per accommodation, per stay
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 50.0 per day
- Chicago PUBLIC
- PUBLIC Chicago
- PUBLIC Hotel
- PUBLIC Hotel Chicago
- Ambassador East Chicago
- Ambassador East Hotel Chicago
- Hotel Ambassador East
- Public Chicago Hotel Chicago
- PUBLIC Chicago Hotel
We should mention
Up to 3 children 17 years old and younger stay free when occupying the parent or guardian's room, using existing bedding. Only registered guests are allowed in the guestrooms. The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation. Guests can arrange to bring pets by contacting the property directly, using the contact information on the booking confirmation (surcharges apply and can be found in the Fees section).
Awards & Affiliations
- The property is a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts.