Expedia Verified Reviews
Get an overview of this hotelHistoric Chicago hotel across from Grant Park
Popular property highlights
Built in 1893, this downtown Chicago hotel offers a convenient location across from Grant Park and close to Lake Michigan.
The public areas of Congress Plaza feature ornate chandeliers, statuary, and murals; a lounge and two restaurants are on site.
Congress Plaza Hotel's guestrooms offer free wireless and wired Internet access and cable TV; many have Chicago or Lake Michigan views.
Congress Plaza Hotel
Across the street from Grant Park, this downtown Chicago hotel was originally built in 1893 to accommodate visitors to the World's Columbian Exposition. The hotel offers 2 restaurants, a lounge, gift shop, and barber shop. 25 meeting rooms cover nearly 50,000 square feet (about 4,600 square meters) of function space, including a ballroom for groups of up to 2,000. The hotel's Gold Room, currently used for banquets and other formal events, has a vaulted ceiling, chandeliers, and gold-leaf trim. Wired and wireless Internet access is available throughout the property, free of charge.
- Express check-in
- Number of bars/lounges - 2
- Fitness facilities
- 24-hour front desk
- Conference space
- Business center
- Meeting rooms 20
- Year Built 1893
- Coffee shop or café
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Free WiFi
- Self parking (surcharge)
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Free wired Internet
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- Conference space size (meters) - 4645
- Luggage storage
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Number of restaurants - 2
- Concierge services
- Conference space size (feet) - 50000
- Gift shops or newsstand
- Shopping on site
- Total number of rooms - 870
- Number of floors - 14
- Wedding services
- Number of buildings/towers - 2
- Multilingual staff
Family Friendly Amenities
- Family Hotel
- Free Wi-Fi
- Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi , Free wired Internet
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi , Free wired Internet
Self parking (surcharge), Valet parking (surcharge)
- Premium TV channels
- Room service (limited hours)
- Air conditioning
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- Coffee/tea maker
- Daily housekeeping
- Private bathroom
- Free toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Shower/tub combination
- Cable TV service
- Iron/ironing board
- In-room safe
- Free WiFi
- Free wired Internet
- Hypo-allergenic bedding available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
Where to Eat
Gazebo Restaurant - Casual ambience, American cuisine. Open for breakfast and lunch.
Rafael Steak House - Serving Midwestern cuisine. Open late afternoon through late evening for dinner only.
Congress Lounge - Located just off the lobby. Cocktails, beer, wine, and light fare. Open daily.
Nearby Things to Do
A fitness center on the lower level of the Congress Plaza Hotel is open 24 hours a day.
Guests can run, walk, bicycle, or skate on a path that runs along Lake Michigan for 20 miles. It's accessed via Grant Park, across the street from the hotel. Bikes, in-line skates, and pedal-powered buggies can be rented at several beachfront locations. During the summer, Oak Street Beach, about two miles north, is a popular swimming spot when lifeguards are on duty. Canoeing, kayaking, and rowing equipment is available for rent at the Lincoln Park Boathouse, four miles north of the hotel. A public golf course is located six miles north.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel; fees may apply.
- Bicycle rentals nearby
- Golfing nearby
- Windsurfing nearby
- Sailing nearby
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Minimum check-in age is 18
Check-out time is noon
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Children 17 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 20.00 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets not allowed
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
- Deposit: USD 25.00 per night
- Breakfast fee: between USD 16 and USD 20 per person (approximately)
- Self parking fee: USD 44.00 per day (in/out privileges)
- Valet parking fee: USD 49.00 per day (in/out privileges)
- Early check-in fee: USD 49.00
- Late check-out fee: USD 59.00
- Refrigerator fee: USD 10.00 per night
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 20.00 per night
- Congress Hotel
- Congress Hotel Plaza
- Congress Plaza
- Congress Plaza Chicago
- Congress Plaza Hotel
- Congress Plaza Hotel Chicago
- Hotel Congress Plaza
- Plaza Congress Hotel
- Congress Hotel Chicago
We should mention
Children 17 years old and younger stay free when occupying the parent or guardian's room, using existing bedding. The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.