Sadly, a huge disappointment
Posted Feb 6, 2017
Not ADA compliant, front desk employee was incompetent as well as neglectful, no information given at check in as far as amenities (wi fi, breakfast, etc.) and the room was filthy and everything in it was broken. Front desk staff had to help us with the door to the room and then he realized that the lights weren't working, after a short effort to fix it he shrugged his shoulders and walked out saying if we needed anything else to let him know. We had no towels, cigarette burns (at least 6) in the bedspread of our non-smoking room, the dresser was falling apart, the curtains were falling off the rods, the lights wouldn't turn on, the carpet was FILTHY. I wouldn't stay here again if the only other choice was sleeping in my car.