Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Cortez, and visitors give high marks for the beautiful parks and top-notch restaurants. Tourists can also enjoy the city's archaeological sites and museums. A top sight in the city is Mesa Verde National Park Entrance.
- There are 70 hotels and other accommodations in Cortez
- The closest major airport is in Cortez, CO (CEZ-Montezuma County), 4 mi (6.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Durango, CO (AMK-Animas Air Park), 40.6 mi (65.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Cortez
Cultural venues in the city include Spruce Tree House, Chapin Mesa Archeological Museum, and Cortez Cultural Center. The city is notable for landmarks like Long House, Cliff Palace, and Balcony House. The mountain views, parks, and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty, and Mesa Verde National Park Entrance, Mesa Verde Visitor and Research Center, and Canyons of the Ancients National Monument are worth a visit.
In Cortez, there are 70 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hampton Inn Mesa Verde/Cortez - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Retro Inn at Mesa Verde - Our customers like the overall value and quiet location at this motel. This 2-star motel features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Sophia Retreat and Event Center - With a stay at this 3-star lodge, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and breakfast.
Dressing for Cortez
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 58°F and the nighttime average to be 15°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 88°F during the day and 29°F at night
- July through September averages 89°F during the day and 41°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 72°F during the day and 16°F at night
- Cortez gets about 12.57 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 87°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 17°F