History buffs will enjoy exploring Dorchester, and visitors give high marks for the lively bar scene. Welcoming and rural, this city attracts tourists with its museums and coffeehouses. Top sights around the area include Monkey World Ape Rescue Center and Corfe Castle.
- There are 52 hotels and other accommodations in Dorchester
- The closest major airport is in Bournemouth (BOH-Bournemouth Intl.), 27.6 mi (44.4 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Dorchester
Well known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include The Keep Military Museum, Tutankhamun: The Exhibition, and Dorset Teddy Bear Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Roman Town House, Maumbury Rings, and Hardy's Cottage. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the countryside and these places to visit: Borough Gardens, Sculpture by the Lakes, and Weymouth Bay.
In Dorchester, you'll find 52 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. Here are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Summer Lodge Country House Hotel, Restaurant and Spa - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and breakfast.
- The Brewers Arms - Our customers love the spacious and comfortable rooms at this inn. This 3-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Westwood Guest House - Amenities at this 4-star guesthouse include free breakfast and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its WiFi and clean, comfortable rooms.
Outside the city, popular places to see include Monkey World Ape Rescue Center, located 11.4 mi (18.4 km) from the city center, and Corfe Castle, which is 19.4 mi/31.3 km away.
Getting Around Dorchester
If you want to journey outside of the area, ride aboard a train from Dorchester West Station, Dorchester South Station, or Maiden Newton Station. Dorchester might not have many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Dorchester
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 53°F and the nighttime average to be 35°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 70°F during the day and 38°F at night
- July through September averages 72°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 62°F during the day and 38°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Dorchester is 1.02 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 70°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 36°F