spent one night two rooms one for myself and another for my parents for a weekend trip to Edinburgh from London.
- good location for city sightseeing. just a short walk from the main train station if you arrive by train.
- rooms are nice and clean with a pretty high standard of comfort level.
- Elevators don't go up to the 1 or 2 floor so if your room is on those levels it's a pretty long walk inside the hotel. Was not cool when I found out my card key was not working as I had to walk through the maze of corridors back to the front desk.
- Parents room were near a function room on the garden level where there was some party going on and they had trouble sleeping because of the noise.
The negative points about my experience:
- Receptionist gave us a map guide for the city in Italian (we are koreans with an american accent)
- Asked day before check out if we could check out an hour or so later than the usual time. Phoned the front desk guy says he will call me back in 10min no call phone him again says he'll call back again nothing so had to speak to the morning shift receptionist next day.
- Receptionist asked which newspaper I would like in the morning so said xxx and found out when I was checking out that they were intending to charge 3.50 for the paper. Have been to many hotels of varying degrees but never got charged for a newspaper. When you spend in excess of 300 GBP for a room you expect that marginal gain in attention and detail. all not there.
Comment from Hotel Management
Sep 18, 2016 by Victoria S, Hotel Management
Dear Mr Lee,
Thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback following your recent stay. I am sorry to read that elements of your experience did not meet your expectations. I will speak personally to the front desk and Housekeeping teams regarding the points you raise to ensure we are consistently providing the high standard of customer care we pride ourselves on here at The Glasshouse. I am very sorry that this was not your experience on this occasion.
I apologise if the cost of the newspapers was not clearly explained to you upon check in. We offer a wide range of local, national and international papers to our guests with the Independent being our complimentary paper choice for any guest who wishes.
Thank you for your comments regarding access to level one. I will ensure your comments are passed to our General Manager for his consideration.
I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Glasshouse in the near future. As a valued member I would be delighted to offer you a complimentary room upgrade to one of our third floor city view suites on your next visit. Please contact me directly to make the arrangements or if I can be of any further assistance.
Rooms Division Manager