Had a gas leak in my room. Didn't realize it until I moved out. Made me very sick.... lethargic, hacking up a lung, headache...
Comment from Hotel Management
Dec 16, 2016 by General Manager, Hotel Management
We would like to take the time to apologize for the state of your guest room. We are currently looking into potential solutions to this issue. We will do all we can to ensure that a situation such as this will not happen again.
Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention, and we hope to be able to serve you again in the future.