Worst hotel we have ever stayed at!
Posted Jan 3, 2017
When we arrived there was no parking anywhere at the hotel, including the parking garage for the hotel. Upon entering and going to the front desk, and notifying the employee we were there to check in, she pretty much had a freak out that we were bothering her. When we got to out room, the room smelled very bad, indescribable. A combination of smoke and mold. The dresser was damaged and scratched. The chairs were scratched, missing paint/stain. There was a red droplet on one chair that may or may not have been blood, see photo. The chair on the balcony was dirty and unuseable. See photo. The pool was dirty with clumps of dirt and black film on liner, possibly mold. Also water was very cold for an indoor pool. See photos. The exhaust piping on the building was rusted off and dislodged. See photo. There was black mold and dirt in the bathroom vent can. See photo. When we asked for towels for the pool area that had none, we were told all the towels were in the wash and not available. This hotel should be torn down and made into a parking lot, it would serve a better purpose to the community that way.
Comment from Hotel Management
Jan 6, 2017 by Brittany, Hotel Management
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We always want our guests to be happy and have a great experience. I am very sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay and will look into them immediately. We are currently renovating our property and hope to be completed this spring. Again I do apologize for the issues you encountered and will look into it.