Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Girdwood, and visitors give high marks for the ski areas, magnificent mountain views, and top-notch restaurants. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its scenic landscape. Top sights in the area include Sullivan Arena, Kincaid Park, and Iditarod Trail Headquarters.
- You'll find 278 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Anchorage
- The closest major airport is in Anchorage, AK (MRI-Merrill Field), 29 mi (46.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Anchorage, AK (ANC-Ted Stevens Anchorage Intl.), 31.5 mi (50.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Girdwood
The hiking trails, mountain views, and glaciers exemplify the city's natural beauty, and places to visit include Girdwood Park and Chugach National Forest. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Girdwood Town Square and Girdwood Center for Visual Arts.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 28 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Girdwood. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The Hotel Alyeska - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and the ski slopes, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and pool.
- Ski Inn - Our customers like the dining options and clean, comfortable rooms at this guesthouse. With a stay at this 3-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
Getting Around Girdwood
If you want to venture outside of the area, hop aboard a train at Girdwood Alaska Railroad Depot. Girdwood might not have very many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Girdwood
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 40°F and the nighttime average to be 8°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 67°F during the day and 24°F at night
- July through September averages 68°F during the day and 37°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 50°F during the day and 10°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Girdwood is 17.64 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and June with an average temperature of 66°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 10°F