The worst hotel experience in 20 years
Posted Aug 1, 2016
This was the worst hotel experience in 20+ years of me traveling, on 3 continents, staying in 12 countries!
The room smelled. Not in an obnoxious, punch in the face kind of way that would make you comeback to the reception in an instant, no; it was a subtle stinky kind of smell (my guess would be mold). We thought we could stand it at first. After a nice walk in the light rain, a dinner out, and another short walk we bedded down (2 adults and 2 kids under 3yo).
Sleep eluded us, the smell had become more and more noticeable. At this point (with the kids being quiet and us trying not to wake them) to the smell were added the sounds we didn't notice when we checked in: bangs, clicks, hisses. Everything that could make a sound did, the refrigerator, the pluming, the air-conditioner switching on/off rather loudly. The unfold-able sofa bed had what one might call a mangled bag of springs for a mattress. By 4am the smell, the sounds, the mattress made what we expected to be a relaxing weekend into a the longest, tiresome, day of the week. At 4:08am I drove to the reception and asked for new blankets, as all the ones we had smelled of mold so strongly at that point that we threw them on the floor. A very kind security guard found us a few blankets and a couple of mattress tops, which made it possible to at least consider falling asleep by around 5am.
The management also tried to sell us their timeshares, after we stated we were not interested (multiple times).