Visiting Grand Island
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Grand Island, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its festivals, sporting events, and shopping.
- There are 36 hotels and other accommodations in Grand Island
- The closest major airport is in Grand Island, NE (GRI-Central Nebraska Regional), 3.4 mi (5.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Kearney, NE (EAR-Kearney Regional), 37.8 mi (60.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Grand Island
Well-known for its festivals, the city's cultural venues include Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer, The Plainsman Museum, and Hastings Museum of Natural and Cultural History. Favorite family attractions include Island Oasis Water Park and Aquacourt. The picturesque setting of Saint Paul City Park and Brickyard Park exemplify the city's natural beauty.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 36 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Grand Island. These are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Holiday Inn Express Hastings - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- My Place Hotel-Hastings - Our customers like the helpful staff and comfortable beds at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a 24-hour business center, along with an in-room kitchen.
- Best Western Plus Grand Island Inn & Suites - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its pool and clean, quiet rooms.
Getting Around Grand Island
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop aboard a train at Hastings Station. Grand Island might not have very many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Grand Island
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 58°F during the day and 14°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 87°F, while the average at night is 33°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 88°F with nighttime averages of 46°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 71°F and nighttime averages of 15°F
- Grand Island gets about 26.50 inches of rain per year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 86°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 16°F