Travelers give high marks for the top-notch restaurants in Hafnarfjordur, which is also known for its local tours. Tourists can also enjoy the city's museums and festivals. Around the area, top sights include Hallgrimskirkja, Perlan, and National Museum of Iceland.
- You'll find 352 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Reykjavik
- The closest major airport is in Reykjavik (RKV-Reykjavik Domestic), 4.1 mi (6.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Reykjavik (KEF-Keflavik Intl.), 21.2 mi (34.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Hafnarfjordur
The city's cultural venues include Hafnarborg and Museum of Hafnarfjordur. The picturesque setting of Hellisgerdi Park and Elf Garden exemplify the city's natural beauty. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Ishestar Riding Tours and Hafnarfjordur Free Church.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 13 hotels and other lodging accommodations to select from in Hafnarfjordur. Below are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Route 1 Guesthouse - With a stay at this 2.5-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and comfortable beds.
- Vibrant Iceland Hostel - Our customers like the helpful staff and comfortable beds at this hostel. This 1.5-star hostel features free WiFi, free parking, and laundry facilities.
- Hotel Vellir - This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Hallgrimskirkja, 4.9 mi/7.9 km from the heart of the city, and Perlan, which is 4 mi/6.5 km away.
Dressing for Hafnarfjordur
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 41°F and the nighttime average to be 28°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 55°F during the day and 32°F at night
- July through September averages 57°F during the day and 40°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 48°F during the day and 29°F at night
- Hafnarfjordur gets about 30.71 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 56°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 28°F