Not a good experience
Posted Oct 24, 2016
We checked in at 3pm on Saturday October 22, 2016. We noticed a moldy smell in the room when we walked in. I had left to go pick up my wife and daughter. We then returned in the evening and the smell was still very strong. We went to call the front desk but phone in room did not work, nor did our lamps. So my wife went down to front desk and told the clerk about our smell, phone, and lamps. She said she would move us to another room. My wife asked her to please come check that room for us to make sure the new room was ok. The clerk said for my wife to just check it and bring the key back to her. So the new room didn't smell like mold but the room still had old food in fridge which we had to throw away because it was left from previous guests. Also, the toilet did not stop running at all. So this was not a pleasant experience for us or our two small children.