Families will find kid-friendly activities in Lakeland, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, shopping, and fun sporting events. This city also attracts tourists with its theaters, restaurants, and university setting. Top sights in the city include Polk Museum of Art and Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium.
- You'll find 573 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Lakeland - Winter Haven
- The closest major airport is in Tampa, FL (TPF-Peter O. Knight), 31.5 mi (50.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Tampa, FL (TPA-Tampa Intl.), 35.6 mi (57.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Lakeland
Well known for its theaters, the city's cultural venues include Polk Museum of Art, Lakeland Center, and Florida Air Museum. Shopping is a favorite activity, so consider an excursion to Lakeside Village and Lakeland Square Mall. While baseball fans may already be searching for tickets, everyone can enjoy a game or event at Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 47 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Lakeland. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Residence Inn by Marriott Lakeland - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Staybridge Suites Lakeland West - Our customers like the location and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Lakeland-South Polk Parkway - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its pool and quiet location.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Chain of Lakes Park, located 14.2 mi (22.8 km) from the city center, and Legoland Florida, which is 16.7 mi (26.9 km) away.
Getting Around Lakeland
If you want to explore the larger area, hop aboard a train at Lakeland Station. Lakeland might not have very many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Lakeland
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 80°F and the nighttime average to be 49°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 90°F during the day and 58°F at night
- July through September averages 91°F during the day and 70°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 87°F during the day and 50°F at night
- About 54.76 inches of rain falls on Lakeland each year
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 91°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 51°F