Posted May 26, 2015 on Hotels
There were so many problems, my family and I were in disbelief. I took pictures to show people because I didn't think anyone would believe it. I checked in late in the day and although I had booked for 3 adults, I was told the price online was only for 2 adults and I would have to pay for and additional person plus tax. This could be a hotels.com issue, so I paid and called hotels.com customer service. However, after putting our things in the room, we found there was no coffeemaker, there were burn holes in the sheets, and the furniture had a hacksaw take away the arms. I called to ask about the coffee maker and was told the way they were placed in the rooms, the coffee maker could not be moved. We were offered a different room, which was facing the highway and too loud to rest in. My family opted to stay in the original room. The next morning, we went to the complimentary continental breakfast and were welcomed by a completely green molded loaf of bread and other expired food products. Needless to say, we did not stay to eat breakfast. When I brought these concerns to the front desk attendant, not only was there no surprise, I was told these concerns had been voiced before. I don't know why management or the corporate office has not taken measures to make corrections, but this hotel is a true health hazard.