THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER
Posted May 30, 2016 on Hotels
We arrived at 5:30pm nobody was there- they left the key with my name- the room was at the attic, with no window, no bathroom. The shared bathroom had green and black mold!! The floors squeaking. The bed was so uncomfortable and soft and noisy, we couldn't sleep during all night I almost cried. Next morning I went to speak with he receptionist she was so worried and said she doesn't agree that some rooms are rented to guests as they are nor conditioned and she offered to move us to another room, we changed room and the privet bathroom was also so dirty full of mold I needed to grab cleaning product from the lady to disinfect the area. I got allergy with the dust of the place. Lucky us the receptionist was helpful and said that she knows the level of cleanliness is really bad. The same lady that makes the "breakfast" (basically nothing)- Is the same one cleaning the rooms. I spoke with "Mr Dillon" you can sense he is a very stingy person- he was so arrogant and unhelpful. We finally moved to a different hotel in we requested a refund. Note- Since we booked thru Hotels.com - he would not do anything to help with it- He said we need to contact hotels.com but luckily the receptionist helped us with the process. This place is unsafe, noisy, old, dirty, unfriendly, stingy and extremely expensive for what you get. Be AWARE that many of the rooms have shared bathrooms.