Never in a million years
Posted Oct 6, 2016
Firstly, I had reserved to rooms with a king-sized bed in each. Once there the room had apparently been changed to a bedroom with 2 full sized beds. Not that big a big deal.
Second, one bathroom was entirely flooded and the ENTIRE room reeked of smoke. Like really? My room are is allergic to cigarette smoke and her eyes were starting to water and burn. We asked for a room changed and the desk clerk obliges. Which I appreciated. Shouldn't happen in the first place though. The second room smelled like really old junk, it's hard to explain but it just had a gross unkept smell.
They used towels which I'm sure were for guests to clean up a leak in the hallway. They stayed there all of my stay.
Overall, this was an awful hotel experience and I will never book again. Guess I got what paid for....but worse.
Comment from Hotel Management
Oct 7, 2016 by GM, Hotel Management
Dear Valued guest,
Thankyou for participating in our online survey, we would like to inform you that there may be a issue with one of the room which was fixed the very next day and as per our records your room was changed and you were upgraded with no cost.
The towels which we use for maintenance work are different from the one which are for guests.
we never compromise on hygene .
we apologize for any inconvenience caused, hope to see you in future to give us 1 more chance to provide you with a hassle free and comfortable sta.