Posted Aug 27, 2016 on Hotels
It was a roach motel, and I mean that literally. When we got there, my lady killed a bug in the bathroom in the first 5 minutes. (No refund policy here) As if that wasn't enough, there were dead bugs in the sheets! I can't obviously use expletives, but it was dirty as f@#%. Nastiest experience of our lives. It gets worse. We were in a sketchy area, and growing up in a tough neighborhood as a kid, where this motel was located reminded me of the worse parts of my upbringing. I have photos and video of the unsafe conditions, such as NOT having a battery in the smoke detector in our room, and I'm almost sure that's a compliance issue. I have learned a humbling lesson to just pay more for lodging wherever I go, because this place was only better when we got the freak out of there. Stay far away. (They can't even trust guests with the TV remote, it's checked out to you and you give it back with your card key)
Comment from Hotel Management
Nov 9, 2016 by General Manager, Hotel Management
Please accept our sincere apology. It has been brought to my attention that your recent visit with us was not to par, as you may know providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and hearing we have fallen below that standard is something we like to address immediately.
I hope you can forgive this inconvenience and not let it stop you from staying with us in the future.