History buffs will enjoy exploring Mechelen, and all visitors are sure to appreciate the cathedral. Tourists can also enjoy the city's museums, monuments, and parks. Around the area, top sights include NATO Headquarters, Atomium, and Mini-Europe.
- You'll find 183 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Antwerp
- The closest major airport is in Brussels (BRU-Brussels - National), 9.2 mi (14.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Antwerp (ANR-Antwerp Intl.), 11.2 mi (18 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Mechelen
Cultural venues in the city include Cultural Center Mechelen, Zotte Kunstkabinet Museum, and Schepenhuis Museum. Its historic sites and cathedral are notable and landmarks include Opsinjoorke Statue, St. Rumbold's Cathedral, and St. John's Church. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Grand Market Square and Mechelen City Hall.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 19 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Mechelen. These are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Vixx Hotel - With a stay at this 3-star apartment, guests can enjoy access to a sauna and a rooftop terrace, along with an in-room kitchenette. Expedia travelers love its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Parkhotel Montreal - Our customers like the breakfast and helpful staff at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
- Novotel Mechelen Centrum - This 4-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and a fitness center. Expedia customers like its breakfast and proximity to shopping.
Top places to see in the area include NATO Headquarters, 10.8 mi/17.4 km from the city center, and Atomium, which is 11 mi/17.7 km away.
Getting Around Mechelen
If you'd like to explore more of the area, hop aboard a train from Mechelen Nekkerspoel Station, Mechelen Station, or Muizen Station. Mechelen might not have many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Mechelen
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 54°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 30°F
- From April to June, the average is 72°F during the day and 38°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 73°F during the day and 48°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 64°F as the daytime average and 31°F as the nighttime average
- Mechelen gets about 34.41 inches of rain per year
- July and June are usually the hottest months averaging 72°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 31°F