Posted Aug 23, 2016
Family & I went whitewater rafting during the day. Motel we booked was close to the rafting company so seemed convenient since we needed to leave for home very early the next morning. Also, as this was a last minute trip, few hotel options were available. Unfortunately, we were unable to check-in until well after dinner when it was too late to find another sleeping alternative. Had I seen the room earlier in the day there is no way that I would have stayed there – even if was offered free of charge! After debating two other alternatives, namely, either sleeping in the SUV in the parking lot or driving home through the night while we were all exhausted, we decided to at least get some sleep there. The room was without question the worst room we have ever been in. Bugs (flying and otherwise), peeling wallpaper, mold, a box spring that was duct taped, debris on the sheets, etc. We all slept fully clothed (including shoes), on top of the bed spreads (certainly not on or under the sheets), and used our own beach towels as blankets. We kept all luggage in the SUV to avoid the possibility of, well, you get the picture. The mental image you should conjure is an old TV show where a murder takes place in a roadside motel. This was clearly the worst motel/hotel I’ve ever been to. Understand that I was not expecting the Four Seasons at this price point and location, but cleanliness should be a baseline for all hotels, shouldn’t it?
PS: Needless to say we did not attempt the f