Toxic Mold Exposure
Posted Jun 7, 2016
From my layman's observation, this hotel has a serious mold exposure issue. The first room on the second floor I checked into had a very strong odor, and we changed the room immediately. The room we moved to further down the hall on the second floor was better, but the smell was still present. The next day, the hotel changed our room to the third floor at my request, and that is when the toxic mold was visible. At our room ceiling openings at the fire sprinkler and smoke detector, black stains are present from what appears to be mold from moisture in the ceiling. Directly outside the third floor vending machine/ice/washer dryer room entrance is a huge ceiling leak that is covered in mould with a plastic white bucket catching the water that drips out in large amounts. Note that half a bucket was full from one night of rain. Other areas through out the hall have stains that appear to be mold growth. I discussed this with people at the building, and they confirmed the hotel owners are aware of the issue, the building inspector has identified the requirement to correct the problem, but the owner seems to NOT be responding to any corrective action. My guess is that the cost is very high to correct such a HUGE repair, and it is my opinion that the hotel needs to be shut down if it follows OSHA United State Department of Labor guidelines. At the time I left the hotel, my eyes were red and burning and my entire body itched from head to toe.
Comment from Hotel Management
Jun 13, 2016 by Terry F, Hotel Management
I am very sorry you encountered this problem while you were at my Hotel. I have been on vacation and just returning, We are aware there is a problem, My boss has tried many options to correct this problem, which only occurs in a few rooms during heavy rainy periods. We are in the process of correcting this problem.