We enjoyed our stay and I would stay at Waves hotel again, but there were too many problems so I'm giving 4 stars (instead of 5.) These were minor problems for me, but I'll share them here so you (the reader) can decide if they are deal-breakers for you:
- if your room is on the adult-only area (other side of the road), you have to cross a busy street all the time. Cars drive pretty fast and not always respect pedestrians.
- we reserved a "pool view room", which was more expensive, but all we could see from our window was a roof.
- the shower drain was partially clogged and water would build up over our feet during shower (I complained about this and after a week it wasn't fixed)
- for the price you pay, food and drinks could have better quality especially during breakfast (juices are from concentrate and sugary, only sliced bread and jams are poor quality.)
- turtle trip sold by hotel is a tourist trap. They feed the turtles, so they come close to the boat. I don't understand how that's even legal (turtles are endangered and protected by conservation laws). I've seen turtles before in the ocean, but always by chance. And people should always respect a certain distance, never touch them and we are absolutely not supposed to feed them. It was pretty disturbing.
- the roped swim area at the beach is tiny and if you wonder outside that area, there are boats and jet skis flying by pretty close to you. I don't understand how they allow boats to be so close to the beach.