Book your room at Riu Merengue All Inclusive
Get an overview of this hotelCasual family resort facing a long Puerto Plata beach
North Coast beauty
This secluded hotel 10 km (6 mi) west of picturesque downtown Puerto Plata shares an 800m (one-half mile) beach and expansive resort grounds with one companion hotel.
Riu Merengue's room rates include access to the freeform and children's pools, kayaks, Hobie Cat sailboats, snorkeling gear, and nightly entertainment.
Air-conditioned guestrooms and suites at Riu Merengue feature balconies or patios, rattan furniture, and stocked compact refrigerators.Would you like to give us feedback? Share it! Opens in a new window
Riu Merengue All InclusiveBahia De Maimon Puerto Plata Puerto Plata
This resort is all-inclusive. Onsite food and beverages are included in the room price (some restrictions may apply).
Gratuities and taxes
Gratuities and taxes are included.
Food and beverages
- All buffet and à la carte meals, snacks, and beverages included
- In-room minibar (all beverages included)
- Meals and beverages at companion properties
Activities and facilities/equipment
All non-motorized water sports are included.
- Surfing/boogie boarding
- Fitness facilities
- Supervised activities for children between 4 and 12 years old
- Access to onsite clubs
- Onsite live performances
- Motorized water sports
- Scuba-diving certification
- Scuba-diving excursions
- Snorkeling excursions
- Premium or imported alcoholic beverages
- Airport transfers
- Laundry/dry cleaning services
- Wireless Internet access
- Offsite tours
Set amidst tropical gardens and surrounded by mountains, the Riu Merengue is a beachfront Art Deco village-style resort, located just 15 minutes from beautiful Puerto Plata. Featuring 998 guestrooms, comfort and pleasure are ensured with spacious accommodations that include patio, garden and 4 restaurants, bars and facilities for a truly thrilling experience. This fun and friendly resort provides exceptional service down to the last detail, complemented by the renowned Caribbean Street promenade and Riu's exchange privileges programme throughout the Riu Resort.
The majority of amenities and activities at this resort are included in the room rate; guests will not be charged extra for meals, drinks, activities, gratuities, or use of both land and water-sports equipment. Babysitting and childcare services are available. Beach/pool umbrellas are available upon request. Luggage storage is available. On-site parking is free to guests during their stay.
Riu Merengue offers daily live music and shows, as well as special daytime entertainment programmes for kids in Riuland. Guests also enjoy complimentary admission to the nearby "Pacha" night club, which is open 6 nights a week, and to "El Millon" casino at ClubHotel Riu Bachata. Open 4 PM to 3 AM, "El Millon" contains slot machines, electronic-poker machines, and three blackjack, one Caribbean Stud Poker, and two roulette tables.
A Caribbean-style street of brightly colored shops runs between Riu Merengue and Riu Bachata Hotel. The street includes an art gallery, clothing boutiques, craft shops, a pharmacy, a pool room, a photo studio/lab, a hair salon, a medical center, a fitness center, and a spa with a unisex sauna. Spa services include waxing, manicure, pedicure, body and facial treatments, the Mayan Mud Wrap, the Tropical Fruit Wrap, and open-air massage in beach cabanas. (Advance reservations are required.)
Shuttle vans and private cars of varying prices are available. They can be reserved during the process of booking a reservation for this hotel, via this Web site, and added to the total trip cost.
- 24-hour front desk
- Babysitting or childcare
- Babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- Beach sun loungers
- Beach towels
- Pool umbrellas
- Children's pool
- Concierge services
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Fitness facilities
- Free breakfast
- Free self parking
- Free WiFi
- Full-service spa
- Gift shops or newsstand
- Hair salon
- Luggage storage
- Multilingual staff
- Number of bars/lounges - 4
- Number of floors - 2
- Number of outdoor pools - 2
- Number of restaurants - 4
- Pool sun loungers
- Shopping on site
- Spa services on site
- Tennis on site
- Total number of rooms - 998
- Wedding services
Family Friendly Amenities
- Babysitting or childcare (surcharge)
- Children's pool
- Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
- Free Wi-Fi
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
- Outdoor pools
Available in all rooms: Wireless internet access ( USD 5-35 per week )
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Free self parking
- Air conditioning
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Cable TV service
- Ceiling fan
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- Free bottled water
- Free toiletries
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Daily housekeeping
- Hair dryer
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
- In-room safe
- Iron/ironing board (on request)
- Premium TV channels
- Private bathroom
- Shower/tub combination
- WiFi (surcharge)
Where to Eat
The majority of meals and beverages, plus all gratuities, at the following restaurants, snack spots, and bars are included in the room rate for this resort (scroll up to the All-Inclusive Details section for more information).
Los Almendros - Open-air buffet restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, theme-dinner buffets.
Macumba - Open-air restaurant/bar serving late-morning Continental breakfast daily and light-meal/snack buffet all afternoon. Snacks served from late night to after midnight. Bar open from late morning to late night.
Italian Restaurant - Half of Macumba restaurant becomes this à la carte dinner restaurant nightly. Reservations required. Dress code: No T-shirts.
Steak House - Half of Macumba restaurant becomes this à la carte dinner restaurant nightly. Reservations required. Dress code: No T-shirts.
La Roca - Buffet style restaurant serving international cuisine. Open daily.
La Plaza - Large, covered, open-air, plaza-like bar. Open from mid-morning to late night.
La Rumba - Open-air bar/lounge open from early evening to late night.
Pacha - Air-conditioned disco near adjoining Riu Mambo Hotel. Bar open 10 PM to 2 AM. (Hours subject to change. Minimum age 18. Closed Mondays.)
Nearby Things to Do
The majority of recreational activities and facilities described below are included in the room rate for this Puerto Plata resort (scroll up to the All-Inclusive Details section for more information).
This hotel, in Dominican Republic's Puerto Plata area, includes a 53.25m (175-ft) freeform pool and a 4.5m-square (15-ft) children's pool. Guests also enjoy access to pools at the resort's other two hotels, including a pool at Riu Bachata that contains an eight-person jetted section and a swimup bar. Padded lounge chairs and thatched-roof sunshades flank all pools.
Riu Merengue faces an 800m (one-half mile) Atlantic Ocean beach. Sand extending inland under palm trees includes sports facilities.
Maimón Bay, at the resort's western end, offers a beachfront water-sports center providing kayaks, snorkeling gear, Hobie Cat sailboats, pedal boats, windsurfers, and boogie boards as part of the All-Inclusive plan. Surcharges apply for parasailing, Jet Skiing, banana-boating, sailing lessons, windsurfing lessons, scuba-diving lessons and certification classes, and snorkeling and scuba-diving excursions.
All-Inclusive facilities include three tennis courts at this hotel and two at the adjacent Riu Bachata Hotel. The nearest golf course, Playa Dorada, is 14 km (8.75 mi) away.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site at Riu Merengue or near the resort in the Puerto Plata area; fees may apply.
- Kayaking on site
- Personal motorized watercraft on site
- Parasailing on site
- Playground on site
- Sailing on site
- Scuba diving on site
- Snorkeling on site
- Surfing/boogie boarding on site
- Volleyball on site
- Windsurfing on site
- Fitness classes on site
- Basketball on site
- Hot stone massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Swedish massage
- Prenatal massage
- Steam room in spa
- Sports massage
- Manicures and pedicures
- Aromatherapy treatments
- Sauna in spa
- Body treatments
- Facial treatments
- Accessible bathroom
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time ends at Midnight
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Special check-in instructions:
Check-out time is Noon
- Pets not allowed
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on hotel policy.
- Fee for in-room wireless Internet: USD 5-35 per week (rates may vary)
- A late check-out fee will be charged
- Merengue Riu
- Riu Merengue
- Riu Merengue All Inclusive
- Riu Merengue All Inclusive Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Rui Merengue
We should mention
Reservations are required for massage services. Reservations can be made by contacting the resort prior to arrival, using the contact information on the booking confirmation. The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.
Awards & Affiliations
Resort Credit Promotion - Valid for US and Latin America Bookings Only
Book a 4-7 night minimum stay in any room or rate category for travel May 1 – December 23, 2016, and receive up to USD 1,000 in Resort Credit coupons for select services. Coupons can be applied as follows:
- USD 210 resort credit at Renova Spa (2 USD 35 coupons for Renova Spa massage, 2 USD 25 coupons for Hot Stone Cure Stress Massage, 2 USD 15 coupons for Deep Cleansing Facial, 2 USD 15 coupons for Aromatherapy Massage, 2 USD 15 coupons for Body Wrap, 2 USD 15 coupons for Spa pedicure; limited to 1 coupon per service/person)
- USD 160 resort credit at Scuba Caribe (2 USD 60 coupons for PADI Open Water, 2 USD 15 coupons for PADI Discover Scuba Diving, 2 USD 5 coupons for Cambiaso Discovery, 2 USD 5 coupons for sailing/windsurfing lesson; limited to 1 coupon per service/person)
- USD 80 resort credit with a 4-6 night stay or USD 140 resort credit with a 7-night minimum stay at Diamante Casino (1 USD 10 coupon per person/night valid for match play)
- USD 90 resort credit with a 4-6 night stay or USD 180 resort credit with a 7-night minimum stay valid at Playa Dorado Golf Club (1 coupon per round of golf/person, USD 12 for tee time, USD 3 for golf cart rental; caddy is required; additional taxes apply)
- USD 100 resort credit with a 4-6 night stay or USD 200 resort credit with a 7-night minimum stay at Weddings by RIU for Royal and Caprice Wedding Packages (limited to 1 coupon per wedding)
- USD 90 resort credit with a 4-6 night stay or USD 180 resort credit with a 7-night minimum stay at Europcar (1 USD 30 coupon per room/day to be used in economy car rental)
USD35 Spa Credit Offer in Renova Spa
Book a stay in any room or rate category January 1, 2016 – December 31, 2016, for travel within the same period, and receive a USD35 spa credit for duration of 80 minutes, per person, per stay.
Must book this rate plan to receive benefits. Spa credit redemption details provided at check-in. Spa appointment may be required. Taxes and gratuity may not be included. No refunds for any unused portion of offer. Offer subject to availability. Offer is not valid with groups/conventions and may not be combined with other promotional offers. Other restrictions and blackout dates may apply.