Get an overview of this hotelNewly renovated, seaside resort with Palapa style rooms just steps from the festive Quinta Avenida in the heart of Playa del Carmen
Popular property highlights
5 minutes to Fifth Avenue
Mahekal Beach Resort sits on white sand along the turquoise Caribbean Sea. It’s a 5-minute walk to the boutiques and shopping malls of Quinta Avenida (Fifth Avenue) and a short drive to whitewashed Nuestra Señora del Carmen church. Golfers can drive 20 minutes to Playa Paraiso club.
Hammock by the pool
Guests can relax in personal hammocks shaded by palm trees or in the 4 resort pools and 2 spa tubs. Enjoy Revive Spa's treatments or cocktails by the fire pit. This laid back resort has a Bohemian vibe that is both chic and tranquil. Experience a meal at Fuego Resaurante with farm to fork style cuisine. Experience Mahekal and see why our guests return year after year.
Breezy rooms by the beach
Under traditional thatched-roof palapas, guestrooms are bright and airy, with garden and sea views from the outdoor patios. Guests can make use of the free WiFi to upload their holiday pics, and keep their belongings secure in the in-room safe.
- Good location
- Overall property condition
- Helpful staff
Mahekal Beach Resort
Mahekal Beach Resort features 4 outdoor swimming pools. Boli's lounge features fresh handmade martini's and Itzi is our afternoon swim up bar for lunch and cocktails. In addition, Fuego Restaurante y Cantina serves Tulum-style cuisine. All rooms and public areas are equipped with complimentary high-speed wireless Internet access.
This beach hotel also offers a full-service Revive Spa, tour/ticket assistance, dry cleaning/laundry service, hair salon, airport shuttle (surcharge), concierge services and full on site dive center. Street parking is available nearby.
Mahekal Beach Resort is a smoke-free property.
- Airport transportation (surcharge)
- Total number of rooms - 196
- Number of floors - 2
- 24-hour front desk
- Number of bars/lounges - 2
- Number of poolside bars - 2
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Concierge services
- Conference space
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Fireplace in lobby
- 24-hour fitness facilities
- Full-service spa
- Hair salon
- Free WiFi
- Laundry facilities
- Meeting rooms 2
- Multilingual staff
- Beach bar
- Luggage storage
- Beach umbrellas
- Free beach cabanas
- Beach sun loungers
- Pool sun loungers
- Free parking nearby
- Beach towels
- Year Built 1982
- Number of restaurants - 3
- Conference space size (feet) - 1200
- Conference space size (meters) - 111
- Number of buildings/towers - 33
- Swim-up bar
- Television in common areas
- Wedding services
- Gift shops or newsstand
- Pool umbrellas
- Billiards or pool table
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Number of outdoor pools - 4
- Spa treatment room(s)
- Smoke-free property
- Spa services on site
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Free parking nearby
- Air conditioning
- Free bottled water
- Private bathroom
- Hair dryer
- Shower only
- Access via exterior corridors
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- Ceiling fan
- Free WiFi
- Daily housekeeping
- Free toiletries
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Iron/ironing board (on request)
- In-room safe
Where to Eat
Mahekal Beach Resort has 3 restaurants serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Las Olas Restaurant and Bar - Serves regional specialties for breakfast, lunch, and special dinner nights. Las Olas Bar serves beer, margaritas, and specialty cocktails all-day, as well as lunch daily.
Cocina - This restaurant explores cultures and cuisines that span across Yucatan, Mexico and Latin America. The restaurant features a bountiful buffet that allows guests to travel the world, bite-by-bite. Additional special nights provide an ample a-la-carte sit-down menu and feature a locally inspired dish.
Fuego Restaurante y Cantina - Mahekal's newest oceanfront restaurant and bar offers an ever-changing array of Mexican cuisine that is locally sourced from teh surrounding area, in step with the seasons and tides. The "Tulum-style" wood-burning oven restaurant featured "Farm-to-Fork" dining accompanied with a relaxed vibe in simple, laid-back atmosphere. Executive Chef Crescenciano Nereyprepares all meals over the open flames of the wood-fired oven grill, and serves up vibrantly colored dishes.
Boli's Bar - This bar offers guests an inviting tropical ambiance and creative cocktails. Named for the resort's incredible concierge, Boli, the lounge provides a fun place to mingle over fresh-pressed juice cocktails and a game of pool.
Itzi Bar - Features a fine selection of light bites and cocktails.
Nearby Things to Do
The resort has 4 swimming pools to choose from. The Las Olas pool is an infinity pool directly on the ocea with a pool bar nearby and hot tub spa. The Itzi pool is located next to the Itzi bar and includes a swim-up bar. This is a zero entry pool with soft sand nearby. The jungle pool is nestled in the heart of the jungle section and is secluded and tropical. Fuego pool is lively with fountains, a spa tub, and a bar nearby. All pools have towel service, except the jungle pool.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or nearby; fees may apply.
- Sailing nearby
- Windsurfing nearby
- Parasailing nearby
- Water skiing nearby
- Ecotours nearby
- Scuba diving on site
- Snorkeling on site
- Surfing/boogie boarding on site
- Yoga classes/instruction on site
- Number of treatment rooms 2
- Massages on beach
- Manicures and pedicures
- Body wraps
- Body treatments
- Facial treatments
- In-room accessibility
Minimum check-in age is 18
Special check-in instructions:
Check-out time is 11 AM
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Up to 2 children 4 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
- Rollaway/extra beds are not available.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets allowed for an extra charge of USD 25 per pet, per night
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
- Deposit: USD 115 per week
- Christmas Eve (24 December) Gala Dinner per adult: USD 80.00
- Christmas Eve (24 December) Gala Dinner per child: USD 1 (up to 12 years old)
- New Year's Eve (31 December) Gala Dinner per adult: USD 80.00
- New Year's Eve (31 December) Gala Dinner per child: USD 1 (up to 12 years old)
- Breakfast fee: USD 16.00 per person (approximately)
- Airport shuttle fee: USD 120 per person (roundtrip)
- Airport shuttle fee per child: USD 30.00 (roundtrip), (from 5 to 17 years old)
- Pet fee: USD 25 per pet, per night
- A late check-out fee will be charged
- Refrigerator fee: USD 10 per night
- Mahekal Beach
- Mahekal Beach Playa del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort
- Mahekal Beach Resort Playa del Carmen
- Mahekal Resort
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
We should mention
This property offers transfers from the airport (surcharges may apply). Guests must contact the property with arrival details before travel, using the contact information on the booking confirmation. Reservations are required for massage services and spa treatments. Reservations can be made by contacting the hotel prior to arrival, using the contact information on the booking confirmation. Up to 2 children 4 years old and younger stay free when occupying the parent or guardian's room, using existing bedding. Construction is underway at a neighboring building and there may be noise disturbance from the construction work.
Awards & Affiliations
- Mahekal Beach Resort is listed in the 2016 Condé Nast Traveler Top 100 List and the 2016 Travel + Leisure 500.