County Meath Castle holds a wonderful location, set in a tranquil position just an hour from Dublin on the shores of Lough Sheelin. The 500 year old Norman Keep makes a truly unique setting for your holiday and a wonderful base from which to explore beautiful County Meath.
The Castle was commenced in 1533 by Richard Nugent, the 12th Baron of Delvin and was completed in 1537. It is said by many to be one of the most haunted places in Ireland, haunted by Nugent's daughter Sabina, who fell in love with a handsome young man named Orwin, son of an O'Reilly chieftain. The two families were foes and knowing their love would be forbidden, they eloped together and boarded a boat by the shore, sadly however, a storm took them by surprise. Orwin did not survive and the heartbroken Sabina retreated to her tower bedroom, never to leave again. Sabina is said to haunt the castle's walls to this very day, still searching for her true love.
The Castle can comfortably accommodate up to fifteen guests, across six well appointed bedrooms, three of which are situated on the ground floor making them ideal for guests who struggle with any mobility problems. The remaining three bedrooms are set in the tower and accessed via the traditional spiral staircase. On the first floor, a four poster double room, and the second floor, a twin room, each of which boasting their own en-suite bathrooms. On the third and final floor, is Sabina's room which features an antique half tester bed, en-suite bathroom and boasts wonderful views across Lough Sheelin and the surrounding countryside.
Yey! Wait… what is that?
It’s the perfect combo of the privacy of your own personal villa, with all the luxury and convenience of a hotel. What’s included?
Breakfast, cleaning, welcome drinks and hamper, plus more! Check the Extras tab for all the details.
- Living area
- Dining room
- Bedroom with four poster bed, additional single bed and en-suite bathroom (an ideal room for those in a wheelchair)
- Bedroom with four poster bed and additional single day bed
- Bedroom with small double bed
- Bedroom with four poster bed and en-suite shower room
- Bedroom with twin single beds and an ancient en-suite shower room
- Sabina's bedroom with antique half tester bed and en-suite shower room
- Fantasy bedroom with double bed and LED lighting (set just beneath Sabina's bedroom it makes a fun room for children!)
- Iron & board