Get an overview of this hotelHistoric San Francisco hotel near Union Square
Popular property highlights
- Good location
- Helpful staff
- Clean guestrooms
- Comfy beds and overall room comfort
- Location was a bit noisy
Near cable car
Built in 1927, this 9-story downtown San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California St cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, and 8 blocks from Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center.
Free WiFi, wine reception
Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly. Complimentary wireless Internet access is available throughout.
All 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature Tibetan mountain-themed art, hand-painted Moroccan tables, ceiling fans, and marble-top desks.Information missing or incorrect? Tell us!Opens in a new window
Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
This San Francisco hotel offers a 24-hour business center, meeting room, and complimentary WiFi throughout. A complimentary wine reception is held nightly in the lobby amid the hotel's collection of international art and artifacts, which showcase cross-cultural design from Africa, India, Nepal and Asia.
Enjoy California cuisine and local beer and wine at Phlox Commons. Guests receive discounted access to a nearby fitness center. Valet parking is available 6 AM-midnight.
- Concierge services
- Use of nearby fitness center (discount)
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Multilingual staff
- Total number of rooms - 161
- 24-hour front desk
- Number of floors - 9
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Fireplace in lobby
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Year Built 1927
- Smoke-free property
- Free newspapers in lobby
- Tours/ticket assistance
- One meeting room
- Luggage storage
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- 24-hour business center
- Conference space size (feet) - 750
- Conference space size (meters) - 70
- Free reception
- Number of buildings/towers - 1
- Free WiFi
Family Friendly Amenities
- Family Hotel
- Free Wi-Fi
- Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Valet parking (surcharge)
- Premium TV channels
- Ceiling fan
- Coffee/tea maker
- Designer toiletries
- Private bathroom
- Free toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Shower/tub combination
- In-room safe (laptop compatible)
- Cable TV service
- Iron/ironing board
- Daily housekeeping
- Flat-panel TV
- Free WiFi
- iPod docking station
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
Where to Eat
Phlox Commons - Approachable appetizers and hearty entrees are supported by a thoughtful and extensive curation of locally produced beer and wine. Phlox Commons is a gathering place for friends and strangers to enjoy the flavors of California. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Nearby Things to Do
The hotel does not have its own fitness facilities, but guests receive discounted access to a fitness center three blocks away.
Public 18-hole golf courses within five miles of the hotel include the Presidio Golf Club and the Lincoln Park Golf Course. Three miles away, Golden Gate Park has walking and running trails, a children's playground, gardens, and tennis courts. Ocean beaches, including Seal Rock, are five miles from the hotel.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel; fees may apply.
- Golfing nearby
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time ends at 2 AM
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Special check-in instructions:
Check-out time is noon
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 20 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets stay free
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
Government-issued photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges.
Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. Special requests cannot be guaranteed.
Pets allowed (no fees)
- Fee for full breakfast: USD 20 per person (approximately)
- Valet parking fee: USD 35 per day (in/out privileges)
- A pet fee will be charged
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 20 per night
- Carlton Joie de Vivre Boutique
- Carlton Joie de Vivre Boutique San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton
- Hotel Carlton Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
- Hotel Carlton Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco
- Carlton San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
We should mention
The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.