Get an overview of this hotelLiterary-themed downtown San Francisco retreat
Popular property highlights
Close to cable car
Named for San Francisco poet Kenneth Rexroth, this smoke-free, boutique hotel is within 2 blocks of Union Square and the Powell Street cable car; the Moscone Convention Center is a half-mile away.
Wine, jazz, books
Antique books and portraits line the walls of the historic San Francisco hotel, which hosts a wine hour, literary events, and live jazz in the lounge. A café at Hotel Rex San Francisco serves French-Latino fare.
Air of Provence
A French Provençal color palette pervades the 94 guestrooms of Hotel Rex. All feature pure-cotton linens, down duvets, bathrobes, hand-painted lampshades, and CD players.Information missing or incorrect? Tell us! Opens in a new window
Hotel Rex San Francisco
Notable theaters, Union Square shopping, and the Powell Street cable car are all within two blocks of this boutique hotel. Complimentary weekday Town Car service is provided to downtown's Financial District, one-half mile away.
Named for Andrée Dutcher, an artist and the wife of poet Kenneth Rexroth, the book-lined café serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner 5 days a week. The business center is reminiscent of an old-fashioned study—updated with computers.
Hotel Rex San Francisco is a smoke-free property.
- Use of nearby fitness center (discount)
- 24-hour front desk
- Business center
- Meeting rooms 3
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Coffee shop or café
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Free WiFi
- Limo or Town Car service available
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Smoke-free property
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- Luggage storage
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- Concierge services
- Total number of rooms - 94
- Number of floors - 7
- Wedding services
- Airport transportation (surcharge)
- Multilingual staff
- Free newspapers in lobby
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Valet parking (surcharge)
- Hypo-allergenic bedding available
- Premium bedding
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- Air conditioning
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Free bottled water
- Designer toiletries
- Private bathroom
- Free toiletries
- Hair dryer
- In-room massage available
- Shower/tub combination
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
- Cable TV service
- Iron/ironing board
- In-room safe
- Daily housekeeping
- Free WiFi
- iPod docking station
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
- LCD TV
Where to Eat
The Library Bar - Literary-themed lounge with period furnishings, antique books, and art objects from around the world. Dinner, cocktails, complimentary evening wine reception. Enjoy satisfying American classics with unexpected European touches.
Nearby Things to Do
This San Francisco hotel does not have its own fitness facilities, but provides discounted access to a health club across the street. The club has an indoor pool and a full range of cardio and strength-training equipment. A rejuvenating massage can be arranged at a nearby health spa.
The hotel is one-half mile from Yerba Buena Gardens, which features an ice rink, playground, antique carousel, and arts center. Nearby public golf courses include the Presidio Golf Club and the Lincoln Park Golf Course. One mile from the hotel, the Embarcadero offers a waterfront walking/running path leading to Fisherman's Wharf. A classic San Francisco experience is a walk or bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, located 5 miles from the hotel. Parking is available at both ends of the bridge. The concierge can arrange free bicycles for guests.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel; fees may apply.
- Free bicycles on site
- Golfing nearby
- Hiking/biking trails nearby
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Special check-in instructions:
Check-out time is noon
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 25.0 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets allowed for an extra charge of USD 75 per accommodation, per stay, plus a deposit of USD 75.00 per stay
- Dogs only
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
- Resort fee: USD 21.00 per accommodation, per night
- Internet access
- In-room bottled water
- Additional inclusions
- Airport shuttle fee: USD 20 per person (one way)
- Valet parking fee: USD 49 per night (in/out privileges)
- Pet deposit: USD 75.00 per stay
- Pet fee: USD 75 per accommodation, per stay
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 25.0 per night
- Hotel Rex
- Hotel Rex Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
- Hotel Rex Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel San Francisco
- Rex Hotel
- Rex Joie de Vivre Boutique
- Rex Joie de Vivre Boutique San Francisco
- Hotel Rex San Francisco
- Rex San Francisco
- Hotel Rex a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
We should mention
This property offers transfers from the airport (surcharges may apply). Guests must contact the property with arrival details before travel, using the contact information on the booking confirmation. The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.