Grid of 40 images
Expedia Verified Reviews
Get an overview of this hotelLiterary-themed downtown San Francisco retreat
Popular property highlights
Close to cable car
Named for San Francisco poet Kenneth Rexroth, this smoke-free, boutique hotel is within 2 blocks of Union Square and the Powell Street cable car; the Moscone Convention Center is a half-mile away.
Wine, jazz, books
Antique books and portraits line the walls of the historic San Francisco hotel, which hosts a wine hour, literary events, and live jazz in the lounge. A café at Hotel Rex San Francisco serves French-Latino fare.
Air of Provence
A French Provençal color palette pervades the 94 guestrooms of Hotel Rex. All feature pure-cotton linens, down duvets, bathrobes, hand-painted lampshades, and CD players.
Hotel Rex San Francisco
Notable theaters, Union Square shopping, and the Powell Street cable car are all within 2 blocks of this boutique hotel. Complimentary weekday Town Car service is provided to downtown's Financial District, one-half mile away.
Named for Andrée Dutcher, an artist and the wife of poet Kenneth Rexroth, the book-lined café serves dinner 5 days a week. The business center is reminiscent of an old-fashioned study—updated with computers.
Hotel Rex San Francisco is a smoke-free property. WiFi is included in the daily resort fee.
- Safe-deposit box at front desk
- Use of nearby fitness center (discount)
- Luggage storage
- Concierge services
- 24-hour front desk
- Business center
- Meeting rooms 3
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Total number of rooms - 94
- Coffee shop or café
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Number of floors - 7
- Free WiFi
- Wedding services
- Limo or Town Car service available
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Smoke-free property
- Multilingual staff
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi , Free wired Internet
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Valet parking (surcharge)
- Hypo-allergenic bedding available
- Premium bedding
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Air conditioning
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- Private bathroom
- Designer toiletries
- Free toiletries
- Hair dryer
- In-room massage available
- Shower/tub combination
- In-room childcare (surcharge)
- Iron/ironing board
- In-room safe
- Cable TV service
- Daily housekeeping
- Free WiFi
- Free wired Internet
- iPod docking station
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- LCD TV
Where to Eat
The Library Bar - Literary-themed lounge with period furnishings, antique books, and art objects from around the world. Dinner, cocktails, complimentary evening wine reception. Enjoy satisfying American classics with unexpected European touches.
Nearby Things to Do
This San Francisco hotel does not have its own fitness facilities, but provides discounted access to a health club across the street. The club has an indoor pool and a full range of cardio and strength-training equipment. A rejuvenating massage can be arranged at a nearby health spa.
The hotel is one-half mile from Yerba Buena Gardens, which features an ice rink, playground, antique carousel, and arts center. Nearby public golf courses include the Presidio Golf Club and the Lincoln Park Golf Course. The Embarcadero offers a waterfront walking/running path leading to Fisherman's Whar, just 1 mile from the hotel. A classic San Francisco experience is a walk or bike ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, located 5 miles from the hotel. Parking is available at both ends of the bridge. The concierge can rent bicycles for guests on site.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel; fees may apply.
- Golfing nearby
- Bicycle rentals on site
- Hiking/biking trails nearby
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Check-out time is noon
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 25.0 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets allowed for an extra charge of USD 75 per accommodation, per stay, plus a deposit of USD 75.00 per stay
- Dogs only
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
- Resort fee: USD 21.00 per accommodation, per night
- Internet access
- In-room bottled water
- Additional inclusions
- Valet parking fee: USD 55.00 per night (in/out privileges)
- Pet deposit: USD 75.00 per stay
- Pet fee: USD 75 per accommodation, per stay
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 25.0 per night
- Hotel Rex
- Hotel Rex Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
- Hotel Rex Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel San Francisco
- Rex Hotel
- Rex Joie de Vivre Boutique
- Rex Joie de Vivre Boutique San Francisco
- Hotel Rex San Francisco
- Rex San Francisco
- Hotel Rex a Joie de Vivre Boutique Hotel
We should mention
The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.