Get an overview of this hotelVenerable San Francisco landmark near Union Square
Popular property highlights
On hip theater row
Located in the San Francisco theater district with a BART and MUNI station at its entrance, this downtown hotel is 6 blocks from Union Square and within a mile of Moscone Center and SFMOMA.
Built in 1910, Hotel Whitcomb, A Historic Hotel of America, has an opulent lobby with marble columns, Austrian chandeliers, and Janesero paneling; an intimate bar features a Tiffany stained-glass ceiling.
Air-conditioned guestrooms and parlor suites at The Whitcomb have high ceilings, downtown views, well-lit desks, phones with voice mail, and complimentary wireless Internet access.Information missing or incorrect? Tell us! Opens in a new window
With a BART and MUNI station at its entrance and a cable-car stop within 4 blocks, Hotel Whitcomb, A Historic Hotel of America, is across from the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium and the Orpheum Theatre. Union Square shops and restaurants are 6 blocks away.
Popular with theatergoers, the Market Street Grill has a changing menu with an emphasis on steak and seafood. The small, adjacent bar has a lovely Tiffany ceiling. A Starbucks kiosk in the lobby is open 24 hours on weekends.
Meeting and event space includes a ballroom for 400 guests, 7 meeting rooms, and a business center provides high-speed Internet access and other services (surcharge). Guests can make use of the 24-hour fitness center. Valet parking (surcharge) is available on site. Luggage storage and tours/ticket assistance are also provided.
- Express check-in
- 24-hour front desk
- Conference space
- Year Built 1910
- Express check-out
- Tours/ticket assistance
- Meeting rooms 7
- Coffee shop or café
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- Free WiFi
- Valet parking (surcharge)
- Smoke-free property
- Conference space size (meters) - 585
- Number of meeting rooms - 8
- Luggage storage
- Breakfast available (surcharge)
- 24-hour business center
- Concierge services
- Conference space size (feet) - 6,300
- Gift shops or newsstand
- Total number of rooms - 460
- 24-hour fitness facilities
- Number of floors - 6
- Wedding services
- Number of buildings/towers - 1
- Multilingual staff
- Free newspapers in lobby
Available in all rooms: Free WiFi
Available in some public areas: Free WiFi
Valet parking (surcharge)
- Pay movies
- Premium bedding
- Air conditioning
- Premium TV channels
- Refrigerator (on request)
- Daily housekeeping
- Free toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Iron/ironing board
- In-room safe
- Cable TV service
- In-room climate control (air conditioning)
- LCD TV
- Connecting/adjoining rooms available
- Free cribs/infant beds
- Rollaway/extra beds (surcharge)
- Blackout drapes/curtains
- Free WiFi
- Dial-up Internet access (surcharge)
Where to Eat
Market Street Grill - Lobby restaurant with large fireplace, white tablecloths, steak and seafood specialties. Menu changes with each Broadway-style show at the nearby Orpheum Theatre. Adjacent bar features Tiffany stained-glass ceiling. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served. Bar open from early evening to late evening.
Starbucks - Lobby kiosk serving coffee drinks and pastries. Open from early morning to late evening, 24 hours on Friday and Saturday.
Nearby Things to Do
Jogging, cycling, and rollerblading are popular along the Embarcadero, 1.5 miles away. The hotel is a mile from Yerba Buena Gardens, which includes a historic carousel, bowling alley, ice-skating rink, and children's play area.
Four miles away, the Presidio Golf Course is a public 18-hole course deep inside the city's verdant park near the Golden Gate Bridge. Golden Gate Park has walking and running trails, a playground, gardens, and tennis courts.
The recreational activities listed below are available either on site or near the hotel; fees may apply.
- Golfing nearby
- Hiking/biking trails nearby
- Sailing nearby
If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in shower
- In-room accessibility
Check-in time ends at 4 AM
Check-in time starts at 3 PM
Check-out time is 11 AM
Children and extra beds
- Children are welcome.
- Kids stay free! Up to 2 children 17 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
- Rollaway/extra beds are available for USD 25.00 per night.
- Free cribs (infant beds)!
- Pets not allowed
You need to know
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.
- Deposit: USD 100.00 per day
- Breakfast fee: between USD 15.00 and USD 25.00 per person (approximately)
- Valet parking fee: USD 38.00 per night (in/out privileges)
- Early check-in fee: USD 50.00
- Late check-out fee: USD 50.00
- Refrigerator fee: USD 25 per night
- Rollaway bed fee: USD 25.00 per night
- Hotel Whitcomb
- Hotel Whitcomb San Francisco
- Whitcomb Hotel
- Whitcomb San Francisco
- Whitcomb Hotel San Francisco
- Whitcomb San Fransico
We should mention
Up to 2 children 17 years old and younger stay free when occupying the parent or guardian's room, using existing bedding. The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.
Awards & Affiliations
- The property is a member of Historic Hotels of America.