1. despite booking 6 weeks in advance was given the worst room in the house (we know this because another couple we spoke to during our visit had the same room and also asked to be moved). Lighting fixtures did not work, spider with web had been there a while, next to elevator, balcony right above valet parking...
2. was moved to another room the following night and the duration of our 6 night stay. New room was larger, nice balcony.
3. The whole place was probably very grand at some point, but there has been little maintenance to uphold the standards. Light fixtures are dusty, lighting in our second room did not work (was fixed after 2 days), the glass in the showers, the drains, the shower jets - all need a good scrub/replacement
4. Turn down service was sporadic - some nights we got it, some nights we didn't?
5. Never any towels available by the pool - never any pool service (refreshments, etc.). After the 3rd day we gave up waiting/asking.
6. We met with the manager to discuss our disappointment - why are we doing this on our vacation? Nothing changed.
7. If we could have switched hotels after the 2nd night, we would have.
8. This hotel does not go by 4-star standards, or its "Leading Luxury Boutique Hotels of the World" status - both statuses need to be re-evaluated as it's highly misleading based on our experience.