Built in 1899 by Cord Asendorf, this magnificent house is considered among the finest examples of Steamboat Gothic architecture in America. Today, The Gingerbread House is one of Savannah’s leading caterers and is the site of countless romantic weddings, anniversary parties and other festivities.
Come recreate this image every night because the trolley is always making a stop there. A fine example of Greek Revival Style, this building shows the distinguished trend of Savannah architecture during the first half of the 19th century. The original owner, Francis Sorrel (1793-1870), a shipping merchant of Savannah who as a child was saved by a faithful slave from the massacre of the white colonists in St. Domingo.
The antebellum tradition of refinement and hospitality associated with this residence was continued after its purchase in 1859 by Henry D. Weed. Driving from Savannah to Charleston. #architecture #roadtrip I absolutely love the textures and architecture of the old buildings in Savannah. We climbed to the roof of one of the hotels along the river front in Savannah and got a great view of the sun setting behind the bridge. #architecture #roadtrip through the South #goldenhour #waterlust #blue The spires of a church peek out from the trees. #architecture #roadtrip #blue The old world feel of savannah. Once served as the nexus of the bustling cotton industry. In 1864, General William T. Sherman spared River Street the flames that decimated Atlanta during his epic This cemetery, the second in colonial Savannah, was the burying ground for the city from about 1750 until it was closed against burials in 1853.
Among the distinguished dead who rest here are Archibald Bulloch, first President of Georgia; James Habersham, acting royal Governor of the Province, 1771-'73; Joseph Habersham, Postmaster General under three Presidents; Lachlan McIntosh, Major General, Continental Army; Samuel Elbert, Revolutionary soldier and Governor of Georgia; Capt. Denis L. Cottineau de Kerloguen who aided John Paul Jones in the engagement between the Natural bath products that are widely popular among both tourists and locals. I recently bought some therapeutic bath salts that exfoliates and naturally moisturizes the skin. The soaps are extraordinary as well. In the 1840's, William Brown Hodgson (1801-1871) conceived the idea of setting aside ten acres of wooded land at this site for development of Savannah's first recreational park. It was named for former Georgia Governor John Forsyth (1780-1841).
William Bischoff created the original landscape design. In 1854, the fountain and radiating walks were added. Awesome ceiling. #travelbug #architecture #artsmatter #cathedral #savannah #georgia #usa #northamerica #wayfarer #nomad #gadabout #globetrotter Orleans Square was laid out in 1815 and commemorates General Andrew Jackson's victory in the Battle of New Orleans that same year. In the center of the square, the German Memorial Fountain honors early German immigrants to Savannah. Installed in 1989, it commemorates the 250th anniversary of Georgia and of Savannah, as well as the 300th anniversary of the arrival in Philadelphia of 13 Rhenish families. The Savannah Cotton Exchange building was completed in 1887 during the era when Savannah ranked first as a cotton seaport on the Atlantic and second in the world. In its heyday as a cotton port over two million bales a year moved through Savannah. The Cotton Exchange was the center of activity in the staple which dominated this city's economic life before its evolution into a leading industrial seaport. A huge Civil War memorial, one of the largest in the South and the most expensive in the state, is located in the park, honoring Chatham's war dead. With thousands of citizens present, the memorial was unveiled in 1875, with a statue called Designed by noted English architect William Jay, this house was built for William Scarbrough, president of the Savannah Steamship Company. Completed in 1819, it's an excellent example of the neoclassical style. Scarbrough hosted President James Monroe here in May 1819 during the president's visit to witness the launching of the S.S. Savannah on the world's first trans-Atlantic steamship voyage. For 84 years (1878- 1962), the house served as the West Broad Street School for African- American children and later as the headquarters for the Historic Savannah Foundation from 1976-1991. In 1996 the house was acquired by the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum. Jefferson Davis, former president of the Confederate States of America, was a guest in 1886 in the house on the northeast corner of Bull and Taylor Streets. The residence (built about 1880) was at that time the home of Hugh M. Comer, President of the Central of Georgia Railway.
Accompanied by his daughter, Winnie Davis, The majestic historic Lucas Theatre opened in 1921 to a sold-out viewing of the film An excellent example of early 20th century architecture, built and is currently being finished. This demonstrates that builders do possess the means to build structures that are similar in architectural design quality as those built in the past centuries.
The upper four floors of this building will house the U.S. Attorney's Office, while restaurants, cafes, and an office will occupy the ground level spaces. Vintage theme with British campaign furnitures, driftwood, brass and leather elements evoke the 18th century era of maritime settlers. West end of River Street, beginning a nice stroll along the waterfront. Avoid the garish tourist trap restaurants and shops, keep walking and take in the view (but stop in the big candy and chocolate store - that's totally worth it!) This house built in 1814 by Oliver Sturges, successful Savannah merchant, occupies the site of parsonage of John Wesley, minister of the Church of England in Georgia 1736-37 and founder of Methodism.
Mr. Sturges was a two-fifths owner of the Steam Ship SAVANNAH, first steamship ever built and first to cross the Atlantic. The SAVANNAH's historic voyage was planned in the Sturges House, which was one of a pair of Federal-style residences located on Trust Lot T, Reynolds Ward. Mr. Sturges' partner, Benjamin Burroughs, lived in the other residence, where the John Wesley Hotel is presently located.
Morris Newspaper Corporation, owner and operator of newspapers throughout the United States, purchased the Sturges House from Historic Savannah Foundation in 1971 for conversion into corporate headquarters. The careful restoration of the house was completed in 1973.
The Oliver Sturges House has been entered on the National Register of Historic Places. Savannah bridge. A massive structure that is visible from any point along river street. A company that specializes in the harvesting of raw honey, showcases its ability to incorporate it in a wide selection of products. Edible commodities such as the widely popular Tupelo flavored honey and honeycomb squares, rapture the senses with its sweet, smooth, and buttery textures.
Raw Tupelo: $6 [3 oz], $16.55 [12 oz], $23.85 [20 oz]. Raw Honeycomb Squares: $19.50 Gorgeous cathedral in Savannah. #Cathedrals #Churches #SpringTravel City Hall is the first building constructed by the citizens of Savannah expressly and exclusively to serve as the seat of municipal government. Opened on January 2, 1906, it has served continuously in this role since that date. City Hall was preceded on this site by the City Exchange, built in 1799 and razed in 1904. Along with municipal offices, the City Exchange housed the customs house, a post office, and newspaper offices.
City Hall was designed by Savannah architect Hyman W. Witcover and built 1904-1905 by the Savannah Contracting Company during the administration of Mayor Herman Myers. It is a Renaissance Revival structure of granite and limestone exterior. The original copper dome was first gold leafed in 1987. Juliette Gordon Low, Founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America, was born, October 31, 1860. It was her girlhood home until her marriage there in 1886 to William Low, an Englishman, then residing in savannah.
As a friend of Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the scout Movement, Juliette Low became active in Girl Guide work in England and Scotland in 1911. It was at his suggestion that she Girl Scouting in America.
On March 12, 1912, at the Louisa Porter Home in this city, Mrs. Low founded the first Girl Guide troop on the United States. Her niece, Daisy Gordon, of savannah, was the first member enrolled. Through Mrs. Low´s energetic and determined leadership the movement spread rapidly under the name The Cupcake Emporium offers an assortment of custom made delights for the cupcake connoisseur. The Snicker-doodle with Vanilla Butter Creme frosting incorporates cinnamon into a rich blend of flavor that will melt in your mouth. $2 A popular place for both locals and tourists to satisfy their sweet teeth. Come play in the fountain it's a very popular place to come cool down. #kidsfun One of the most beautiful residences in the Landmark Historic District. I love how the entire building is draped in vegetation. #travelbug #architecture #savannah #georgia #usa #northamerica #facade #americana This street in Savannah is a shopping district with a wide variety of stores from clothing to restaurants and bars. A rail track through a brick road creates a vintage look to this place. The U.S. Customhouse stands on historic ground. In a house on this site James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the colony of Georgia, lived for a time, and in 1736 John Wesley preached his first sermon at Savannah in a building which stood on the rear of the lot.
The cornerstone of the Customhouse was laid in 1848. The building was completed in 1852 at a cost of $146,000. Built of granite from Quincy, Mass., the structure is one of the most handsome and substantial public buildings erected in that era.
The magnificent fluted columns have tobacco leaves as capitals instead of the traditional decorations. The columns, each weighing fifteen tons, were brought to Savannah by sailing vessels. The unusual inside stairway divides at one-half height forming into circular stairs with no perpendicular support.
Although the building is used primarily by the United States Customs Service, it houses several Federal agencies. In earlier years it also served as a Post Office and Federal courthouse.
In 1859-1860 the celebrated cases growing out of slave-running by the yacht This beautiful park-side restaurant demonstrates exceptional Southern cuisine through a myriad of beautifully arranged breakfast, lunch, and dinner entrees. It compliments the neighboring Mansion on Forsyth and Grand Bohemian Gallery, with its alluring Casimir’s Lounge, offering live entertainment, drinks, and a rooftop patio overlooking the historic Forsyth Park. Art and impeccable flavor is embellished in every dish, as is taught to inquisitive minds at the 700 Drayton Cooking School.
One of the most popular lunch entrees, the Cashew Crusted Salmon Sriracha, blends rich flavors into fresh salmon garnished with cashew bits over a bed of rice and savory peppered cabbage slices. $15. In her will, Mary Telfair (1791-1875) provided for the establishment of a women's hospital and also named the first president (Louise Gilmer) and six directresses to manage it. Originally located at the southwest corner of Drayton and New Houston (now E. Park Ave) streets, the Telfair Hospital for Females opened in 1886 as the first hospital in Georgia dedicated exclusively to the care of women. The hospital opened a children's ward in 1896 and started one of the state's first nursing schools in 1900. After years of financial struggles, the directresses finalized a merger with Candler Hospital on January 1, 1960. In 1980, a new facility was built at this location and the original Telfair building was sold.
The original building is currently being used as senior residences. The Crystal Beer Parlor is perhaps one of the most unique and oldest of restaurants in Savannah. Nestled in a lush and beautiful neighborhood just off I-16, this restaurant is most known for its beef burgers, hand-cut fries, and crab stew- favorites that they have served since 1933.
I, however, am quite fond of their rich and delicious Creamy Blue Crab Dip ($6.95) and their seasoned and tender Grilled Rack of Lamb ($27.95). The flavor of the lamb is absolutely exceptional. I don't know what it is about Savannah, but this small town made me fall in love with trees. If you're on a #roadtrip in the American south, plan on a stop in this beautiful and historic city. #weekendgetaway #green Everything about Savannah is fantastic. When you're from California, it's like stumbling into another world. I'm usually here by myself on business and I love wandering around River Street - it's always so alive. This is one of the many beautiful parks around Savannah, Georgia. Forsyth Park occupies 30 acres in the historic disctrict of Savannah. You can bike, roller blade or just walk. You will not be disappointed. Great place to visit. Savannah has been named one of the friendliest cities in the world!
Southern Charm mixed with Modern Art Mastery #RED Mary Flannery O`Connor, novelist and short story writer,was born in Savannah March 25, 1925. She grew up in this house and in later years she referred to it simply as This discovery has two historical markers:
[First Marker] Telfair Family Mansion:
This building is one of the city's outstanding examples of Regency architecture. The main floor and basement kitchens are maintained as a historic house museum. The rotunda and west wing are later additions. It was left by Savannah's outstanding philanthropist, Mary Telfair (1789-1875), relative of William Gibbons, friend of Peter Cooper, last surviving child of Edward Telfair (Revolutionary patriot and early Governor of Georgia) to house the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences which was formed under her will. Notable among her other public bequests are the Telfair Hospital, the interiors of the Independent Presbyterian Church, and (with her sister) Hodgson Hall.
In the Colonial and Revolutionary periods The King-Tisdell Cottage is a handsomely restored 1896 Victorian cottage named for local black citizens Eugene and Sarah King, and later Mrs. King's second husband Robert Tisdell. A proposed public housing project threatened demolition of the cottage at its previous address, and it was subsequently moved to its current location. Today the King-Tisdell Cottage serves as a black culture museum. Among other things, the museum interprets Savannah and the neighboring sea islands with an emphasis on the contributions and roles of African-Americans to the region's rich history. The museum contains many interesting artifacts, including a bill of sale for slaves which was written in Arabic by plantation slaves. The breathtaking religious art, decor, and architecture of the Cathedral. It is open for tours daily, except during religious services. In 1851, businesswoman Mary Marshall, noting that Savannah was woefully in need of visitor accommodations, built the four-story Marshall House Hotel. It served as a hospital for soldiers during the Civil War. It was also home to Joel Chandler Harris, author of the famous Uncle Remus stories. By 1956, the hotel had closed and the first floor was used for businesses. In 1999, $12 million was invested in its spectacular restoration.
Mary Leaver Marshall, the original proprietor of The Marshall House, was the daughter of Gabriel Leaver, a French cabinetmaker with a shrewd vision for developing Savannah's land.
The Hotel has its original staircases (some of the spindles and gingerbread have been recreated), original wood floors, fireplaces, brick walls, and the doors to each guest room are original as well. The Atrium was the courtyard and has been encased with a glass ceiling to give the sensation of what once was. The artifacts displayed on floors two and three were found during the renovation. Designed by John S. Norris for General Hugh Weedon Mercer, construction of the house began in 1860. Construction was interrupted by the American Civil War, and finally completed around 1868 by the new owner, John Wilder.
Before Hansford's death, as retold in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, the house had already been the scene of two deaths. In 1913, a previous owner tripped over the second floor banister, fractured his hip, and suffered a concussion, dying three days later. In 1964, a boy chasing pigeons on the roof fell over the edge and impaled himself on the iron fence below. Johnson Square is the largest and oldest of Savannah's 24 squares. The founder of Georgia, James Oglethorpe, laid out the city of Savannah with regularly spaced public spaces as the center for each ward, or neighborhood. They lend Georgia's original city a character unique among cities in the U.S. This shot is looking through the square down Bull Street toward Savannah's city hall. One of Savannah's most popular restaurants, offering new southern cuisine. I loved their bread! The wonderful sights and sounds of Historic Savannah. Plus an added bonus of #treetrove Forsythe Park in beautiful Savannah!!! They're are 22 squares in Historic Savannah, GA. Truly captivating! A gorgeous hotel with spa, restaurant and bar within that is open to the public, located on the east side of the famous Forsyth Park. Free DOT bus stop located outside, which takes you to various points of interest around the city. Savannah Drive The history of the Live Oak Public Libraries can be traced back to the turn of the century in Savannah. Established in 1903, the Savannah Public Library consisted of a 23,000 volume collection housed in one room of the Georgia Historical Society. Ten years later the Carnegie Library opened on East Henry Street to serve Savannah’s black community.
Surrounded by late-Victorian homes and adjacent to a small city park modeled on the squares in historic downtown Savannah the main library building on Bull Street opened for use in 1916. The library was built at a cost of $104,041.78 with a Carnegie grant. Its neoclassical design was provided by architect H. W. Witcover, who also designed Savannah’s City Hall. This congregation was established as a mission of the Church of England in February, 1736. The Rev. Charles Wesley, ordained priest of that Church, conducted the first services in the chapel within the walls of Fort Frederica. The Rev. John Wesley, Rector of Christ Episcopal Church, Savannah, also served this mission. under the name St. James, this was one of the eight original pasrishes established in 1758. After the Revolution, this and other churches which had been served continuously by clergymen of the Church of England formed the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. Christ Church was incorporated by the State legislature in 1808 and given a glebe of 108 acres; and in 1823 was one of the three parishes organizing the diocese of Georgia. The first Church built on this property in 1820 was almost destroyed during the War Between the States. The present building was erected on the same site in 1884. Armstrong Junior College was founded on this site May 23, 1935 by the City of Savannah under the guidance of Thomas Gamble. The college was named for George Ferguson Armstrong (1868-1924), a native of Guyton, Georgia, who had this house constructed as his residence. This granite and glazed-brick, Italian Renaissance mansion was designed by architect Henrik Wallin and built 1916-1919. It was donated to the City of Savannah.
At one time, the college was considered the most expensive junior college in the State of Georgia. The Georgia Historical Society, founded May 24, 1839, is one of the oldest historical societies in the country. Among it founders were L.K. Tefft, the noted autograph collector; William Bacon Stevens, historian, physician and prelate, and Dr. Richard D. Arnold, who as Mayor of Savannah, formally surrendered the City to General Sherman in 1864.
The Presidents of the Society have included John Macpherson Berrien, Attorney General under President Jackson and United States Senator; James M. Wayne, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States; and Henry R. Jackson, jurist, soldier, diplomat and poet.
Hodgson Hall, the home of the Society, is a repository for books, newspapers and manuscripts relating to the history of Georgia. Dedicated in 1876, the building was a gift of Margaret Telfair Hodgson and Mary Telfair as a memorial to William Brown Hodgson, the distinguished scholar of Oriental languages and United States Dragoman and Consul to the Barbary States and Turkey. Ellis Square is one of the original squares and was historically the site of the City Market. In 1954 the old City Market building was torn down and replaced by a parking garage in an attempt to encourage more downtown shopping. In 2005, the parking garage was torn down and replaced by an underground parking structure developed through a public-private partnership. This provided the opportunity to restore a public square at ground level above the parking structure.
After extensive public input, a plan was developed to create an urban plaza that could accommodate a variety of uses. The result is a dynamic public space that includes a visitor center, restrooms, an interactive fountain, a variety of seating options, and space for music and other performances. The park also include a bronze statue of Savannah native and well known songwriter, Johnny Mercer. The Beach Institute began in 1867 as the first school in Savannah erected specifically for the education of African Americans. It was named for Alfred Ely Beach, benefactor and editor of Scientific American. Following the Civil War, the Freedmen's Bureau, American Missionary Society, and the Savannah Educational Association purchased land and with the labor of newly freed slaves and built this school and a teachers' house on this site. The Beach Institute, birthplace of First Congregational Church and the Savannah Boys Club, closed in 1919. Operated by the King-Tisdell Cottage Foundation since 1989, today the Beach Institute serves as an educational and cultural center. As infantry the Corps fought in the War of 1812, Indian Wars and as a battalion in 1861, serving with distinction in defense of Savannah and Charleston. In the spring of 1864 joined Lee's Army at Petersburg. On April 3, 1865 serving in the rear guard on the retreat to Appomattox having been reduced to 85 men, 23 were killed, 35 wounded and remainder captured. Reorganized in 1872. Served as infantry battalion in the Spanish-American War, as a battalion of the 61 C. A. C. in WW-I, and as 118th F. A. Battalion in WW-II where they were awarded 5 Battle Stars. Reorganized after WW-II and is now an active unit in the Georgia National Guard. This armory was erected in 1892. Andrew Low commissioned New York architect John Norris to design and construct his house in 1848. The house remained in the family until the death of Andrew Low's daughter-in-law, Juliette Gordon Low, founder of Girl Scouts of the USA. The carriage house adjacent to it served as the headquarters for the organization. The house adjacent to this building was the home of Juliette Gordon Low at the time she founded Girl Scouting in the United States, March 12, 1912. Formerly the carriage-house and stable of the Low mansion, this building became that year the first Girl Scout headquarters in America.
At the death of Mrs. Low in 1927, the Founder of Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. willed the original headquarters to the Girl Scouts of Savannah (now The Girl Scout Council of Savannah, Georgia, Inc.). This building has been continuously used for Girl Scouting longer than any other in this country. $12 for adults, but it's the only way you can see the original bird girl that was featured on the cover of The finest artisan made chocolate truffles from Savannah. Southern Charm Savannah city park, Georgia US Another view of the fountain in Forsyth Park, Savannah, Georgia. This wonderful fountain is deservedly famous as a Savannah landmark. Here it is decorated for the Christmas holiday period; this photo taken a few days before Christmas, 2016. Savannah, a coastal Georgia city, It’s known for its manicured parks, horse-drawn carriages and ornate antebellum architecture. Its cobblestoned historic district is filled with squares and parks like Forsyth Park, shaded by magnolia blossoms and oak trees covered with Spanish moss. The historic district’s architectural landmarks include the Gothic-Revival Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist.
You can purchase a day pass to city's trolley and enjoy the beautiful sights. Great city night life and great restaurants. For those of you that have seen Walking around downtown I didn't get to go inside but the cathedral is a savannah staple. Looking up at one of Savannah's oldest churches Top: A full panorama of the beautiful historic downtown Savannah skyline during the afternoon rush hour.
Bottom: Looking down Whitaker Street. This building, now the quarters of a private Club, was erected in 1857 for Edmund Molyneux, British consul at Savannah, and served as his residence and as the Consulate until Molyneux's return to England in 1863. In 1865 the Molyneux house was appropriated by the Union army as headquarters for General O.O. Howard and his successor, Gen. Wm. F. Barry. Representatives of the family claimed that furnishings valued at more than $10,000.00, including part of the famous Molyneux wine cellar, were damaged or removed during the Federal occupation.
The mansion was purchased from the Molyneux family in 1885 by Gen. Henry R. Jackson and was the home of that illustrious Georgian until his death in 1898. Jackson equally distinguished himself as lawyer, soldier, diplomat and poet. He was Judge of the Eastern Circuit of Georgia (1849 -- '53) and in 1859 was special prosecutor for the United States in the celebrated case of the slave ship This area was first developed in 1910, but most homes were built in the 1930s and 1940s. The neighborhood is considered one of the most affluent within city limits by local residents.
Marketed as Chatham Crescent by Granger’s Chatham Land and Hotel Company, the Granger Tract took its design from the Beaux Arts plan popular at the time. At various points in the neighborhood, city blocks were punctuated with 1-acre (4,000 m2) circles (named for city and county officials), a crescent-shaped street, and a landscaped mall.
At the end of the palmetto-lined mall stretching between Maupas Avenue to 47th Street was to be the centerpiece of Chatham Crescent – a magnificent tourist facility called the Hotel Georgia. The Spanish Revival-style hotel was designed by noted architect Henrik Wallin, who assisted Henry Bacon with New York’s Astor Hotel. Apparently the developers hoped that wealthy Northerners would check into what was to be a luxurious hotel and decide to purchase a second home in Chatham Crescent. Unfortunately, the hotel encountered numerous problems and barely got off the ground.
Eventually, Savannah High School (now the Savannah Arts Academy) was built on the nearly eight acres of land set aside for the hotel. Johnson Square was the first of Savannah's squares and remains the largest of the 24. It was named for Robert Johnson, colonial governor of South Carolina and a friend of General Oglethorpe. Interred in the square is Revolutionary War hero General Nathanael Greene, the namesake of nearby Greene Square. Greene died in 1786 and was buried in Savannah's Colonial Park Cemetery. His son, George Washington Greene, was buried beside him after drowning in the Savannah River in 1793. Following vandalism of the cemetery by occupying Union forces during the Civil War the location of Greene's burial was lost. After the remains were re-identified Greene and his son were moved to Johnson Square. An obelisk in the center of the square now serves as a memorial to Gen. Greene. The cornerstone of the monument was laid by the marquis de La Fayette in 1825. At that time the obelisk did not yet commemorate any specific individual or event. In fact, due to financial restrictions the unmarked obelisk served for several years as a joint monument to both Greene and Casimir Pulaski. Inscriptions honoring Greene were added in 1886, but the Greenes’ physical remains did not arrive until 1901, following their This building was constructed in 1897-98 as a memorial to General Alexander R. Lawton (1818-96) and his daughter, Corinne (1844-77). It was used as a public space for cultural, educational and civic purposes until the 1930s. After serving in the Georgia House of Representatives and as president of Georgia and Atlantic Railroad, Lawton served as Brigadier General and Quartermaster-General of the Confederacy, as ambassador to Austria- Hungary, and as fifth president of the American Bar Association. Chartered in 1907, St. Paul’s Greek Orthodox Church acquired the building as its sanctuary in 1941. This chic little Japanese restaurant is adjacent to Chippewa Square and offers fresh made-to-order entrees. Aside from its gorgeous modern interiors, lighting, and seating, the quality of their dishes is remarkable.
For instance, the Chicken Teriyaki ($7.99), a safe choice for those who want to keep it simple, turned out to be absolutely delicious. Tender bits of teriyaki flavored chicken cover a serving of fresh vegetables next to a bed of fried rice. A beautiful pathway with Spanish Moss draping from Oak trees leading up to the famous fountain. A smaller cemetery than its Bonaventure counterpart, and located right in the heart of historic downtown Savannah, this park is enchanting and interesting to wander through. A well travelled door with lots of stories. I like thinking about, The Flying Monk Noodle Bar has become by far one of the most popular Asian restaurants in Savannah. The rich flavors and authentic ingredients bring crowds of both locals and tourists alike for lunch and dinner.
Among the noodle dishes, for which they are famous for as well as their egg rolls, the savory Chicken and Rice dish exudes a distinct blend of Thai flavors that once accustomed to, becomes one that often beckons your appetite. $9.95 Another fine use of wrought iron in Savannah. After New Orleans, this is the best city for wrought iron art. Loved seeing Forsyth park in Savannah! Multicolored honey, all incredibly delicious.
#patterns There are many old houses in Savannah; Some date back to late 1700's. There are many fine examples from the early 1800's, because Savannah was not burned during the civil war, as Atlanta and some other Southern cities were. Breathtaking 19th century historic Catholic Church with neo-gothic architecture and stained glass, overlooking Lafayette Square. Beautiful artwork inside too, but check schedule to not interrupt Mass. #InStone Moon River Brewing Company was a super cute brewpub in Savannah, GA. When we asked if they had a flight to sample, the answer was they'd love for you to try all of their beers with eleven 4 oz pours. We had barely processed how much beer that actually is before we agreed and the server whisked away to place the order. We spent the rest of the meal wondering how much we would be paying for this flight as the price was listed nowhere in the menu or the bar. We figured it couldn't be too bad because almost every table around us had this flight. Turned out to be $20. Most of the beers were decent, but the food was pretty generic. #craftbeer #brewerytourism Really cool-looking old church in downtown Savannah. The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist as seen from the Lafayette Square in Savannah.
#BvSCities
#UrbanJungle First Baptist Church, Savannah's oldest standing house of worship, was designed by Elias Carter and completed in 1833. The congregation dates to 1800. In 1922 the front of the building was extended, a cupola removed, and the edifice covered with limestone. Under the leadership of Sylvanus Landrum, First Baptist Church was one of the few southern churches to remain open throughout the civil war. Notable pastors include W.L. Pickard, later president of Mercer University, Norman Cox, executive secretary of the Historical Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, and Arthur Jackson, executive secretary of the Georgia Baaptist Foundation.
On November 26, 1800 the Reverend Henry Holcombe and fifteen other Baptists organized the Savannah Baptist Church. As early as 1795 a group of interested Baptists had erected a house of worship on Franklin Square where the congregation worshipped for thirty-three years. The Sunday School was organized there on April 29, 1827.
During the pastorate of the Reverend Henry o.Wyer the cornerstone of the present church on Chippewa Square was laid on February 2, 1831 and the building was completed in 1833. The church house was enlarged in 1839 improved from time to time and completely renovated in 1921. Since 1847 the church has been called the First Baptist Church. In 1926 the educational building was erected and dedicated to the memory of John J. Cummings.
The church has had a long line of distinguished deacons and members who have given it their support, devotion and prayers. The pastors have been Henry Holcombe, William B. Johnson, Benjamin Screven, James Sweat, James Meredith, Henry O.Wyer, Josiah S.Law, Charles B. Jones, J.G. Binney, Albert Williams, Joseph T. Robert, Thomas Rambaut, J. B. Stiteler, G. S. Daniel, Sylvanus Landrum, Timothy Harley, J. E. l> Holmes, S. A. Goodwin, J. D. Jordan, W. L. Pickard, J. J. Taylor, L. R. Christie, Norman W. Cox, John E. White, Arthur Jackson, and Leroy G. Cleverdon.
This tablet is given in grateful recognition to God for his divine blessings on the church and is dedicated to the memories of the Reverend Henry Holcombe and those who succeeded him in its ministry. Done with appropriate exercises on this the twenty-sixth day of November, one thousand nine hundred and fifty and the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the organization of the First Baptist Church of Savannah, Georgia. The congregation of St. John the Baptist formed in the late eighteenth century when French emigres fleeing revolutions in France and Haiti found refuge in Savannah. The Church of St. John the Baptist became a cathedral in 1850 when the Diocese of Savannah was established with the Right Reverend Francis X. Gartland as its first bishop. The Cathedral was dedicated at this site on April 30, 1876. A fire in 1898 destroyed much of the structure. It was quickly rebuilt and opened again in 1900. Another major restoration took place in 2000. Today it is a place of worship and seat of the diocese that includes ninety counties in southern Georgia. World-renowned songwriter John Herndon Mercer was born in Savannah and spent much of his youth in this house at 226 East Gwinnett Street. His lyrics reflected the sounds of Southern conversation, influenced by the African-American music and the natural world he experienced. During his career Mercer wrote more than one thousand songs, and nearly four hundred were used in motion pictures. Of these, eighteen were nominated for Academy Awards® ; four of which ( Fresh breakfast bar with local produce Left to right
The perfect manhattan, modern bellini, champagne cobbler at ROCKS ON THE ROOF. Go inside the bohemian hotel. Find the elevator hit R and find your way to the top! In 1757, during the administration of the royal Governor Henry Ellis, a line of earthwork defenses, including a palisade, was erected around Savannah. Immediately west of this market was Bethesda Gate, one of the six entrances into the town. Through Bethesda Gate passed the Sea Island Road connecting Savannah and the tidewater settlements to the east and southeast.
The Davenport House is one of the handsomest examples of Georgian architecture in the South. This finely proportioned dwelling, completed 1820, was designed and built by its owner, Isaiah Davenport (1784-1827), one of Savannah's outstanding builder-architects. Come relax in Savannah on nice couches. Georgia Historical Records show that this building, built in 1853 for the Central Railroad & Bank was confiscated by General William T. Sherman's Union Army Forces as the military headquarters of the post commandant, General J. W. Geary during the occupation of Savannah. Georgia's first hospital, this institution is believed to be the second oldest general hospital in continuous operation in the United States. It was founded in 1803 as a seamen's hospital and poor house and was incorporated in 1808 under the name of Savannah Poor House and Hospital Society. The hospital was removed to this site in 1819.
In 1835, a new charter was obtained for the institution.
During the War Between the States a portion of the Hospital was used for the care of Confederate soldiers. In the area to the rear a stockade was erected in 1864, around the great oak that still stands there, for confinement of Union prisoners.
After Sherman's occupation of Savannah and until 1866, the building served as a Union hospital.
The name was changed in 1872 to Savannah Hospital. From 1871 to 1888 the Savannah Medical College was located here.
In 1876, the building was completely renovated. However, the structure of the 1819 building was retained and remains as the nucleus of the present hospital. In 1931, the facilities were acquired by the Methodist Church, and the name changed to honor Bishop Warren A. Candler.
**Updated Discovery**
The old structure has been recently renovated and currently houses the Savannah Law School.
photo by

Still deciding where to stay?

Try similar properties good for: historical, rivers, museums

Get an overview of this hotelSavannah hotel in Historic Downtown Savannah with free breakfast and outdoor pool

Popular property highlights

Free breakfast
Free WiFi
Swimming pool
Business center
Laundry facilities

Location

Located in Historic Downtown Savannah, this hotel is steps from Reynolds Square, Lucas Theatre, and River Street. Johnson Square and Trustees Theater are also within 5 minutes.

Hotel Features

Along with an outdoor pool, this smoke-free hotel has a fitness center and a bar/lounge. Free buffet breakfast and free WiFi in public areas are also provided. Other amenities include a rooftop terrace, a 24-hour business center, and valet parking.

Room Amenities

All 143 rooms provide conveniences like refrigerators and microwaves, plus free WiFi and flat-screen TVs with cable channels. Guests will also find coffee makers, hair dryers, and phones.

Holiday Inn Express Historic District

Hotel Amenities

Hotel Amenities

Holiday Inn Express Historic District features an outdoor pool and a fitness center. A bar/lounge is on site where guests can unwind with a drink. A complimentary breakfast is offered each morning. Wired and wireless Internet access is complimentary.

Business-related amenities consist of a 24-hour business center and meeting rooms. This business-friendly hotel also offers a rooftop terrace, tour/ticket assistance, and multilingual staff. Onsite parking is available (surcharge).

Holiday Inn Express Historic District is a smoke-free property.

  • Bar/lounge 
  • Coffee/tea in common areas 
  • Elevator/lift 
  • Rooftop terrace 
  • Fitness facilities 
  • Free breakfast 
  • Tours/ticket assistance 
  • Meeting rooms 3 
  • Dry cleaning/laundry service 
  • Free WiFi 
  • Valet parking (surcharge) 
  • Free wired Internet 
  • Outdoor pool 
  • Smoke-free property 
  • Safe-deposit box at front desk 
  • Luggage storage 
  • 24-hour business center 
  • Concierge services 
  • Total number of rooms - 143 
  • Television in common areas 
  • Number of floors - 7 
  • Number of buildings/towers - 1 
  • Multilingual staff 
  • Fireplace in lobby 
  • Free newspapers in lobby 

Family Friendly Amenities

  • Family Hotel  
  • Outdoor pool  
  • Free Wi-Fi  
  • Refrigerator  
  • Microwave  
  • Cribs/infant beds (complimentary)  

Internet

Available in all rooms: Free WiFi

Available in some public areas: Free WiFi , Free wired Internet

Parking

Valet parking (surcharge)

Room Amenities

  • Connecting/adjoining rooms available 
  • Free cribs/infant beds 
  • Flat-panel TV 
  • HDTV 
  • Premium TV channels 
  • Air conditioning 
  • In-room climate control (air conditioning) 
  • Phone 
  • Refrigerator 
  • Coffee/tea maker 
  • Microwave 
  • Daily housekeeping 
  • Private bathroom 
  • Hair dryer 
  • Iron/ironing board 
  • Desk 
  • Cable TV service 
  • Free WiFi 
  • Number of bathrooms -  

Where to Eat

A complimentary buffet breakfast is served each morning between 6 AM and 10 AM.

Nearby Things to Do

Recreational amenities at the hotel include an outdoor pool and a fitness center.

Accessibility

If you have requests for specific accessibility needs, please note them at check-out when you book your room.

  • Accessible bathroom 
  • Roll-in shower 
  • In-room accessibility 

Hotel Policies

Check-in

Check-in time starts at 4 PM

Check-in time ends at 2 AM

Minimum check-in age is 21

Check-out

Check-out time is 11 AM

Payment types

Children and extra beds

  • Children are welcome.
  • Kids stay free! Children 17 years old and younger stay free when using existing bedding.
  • Rollaway/extra beds are not available.
  • Free cribs (infant beds)!

Pets

  • Pets not allowed (service animals welcome)

You need to know

Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on property policy.

Government-issued photo identification and a credit card or cash deposit are required at check-in for incidental charges.
Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in and may incur additional charges. Special requests cannot be guaranteed.
Only service animals are allowed
No rollaway/extra beds available

Fees

You'll be asked to pay the following charges at the property:
  • Resort fee: USD 1.00 per accommodation, per night
We have included all charges provided to us by the property. However, charges can vary, for example, based on length of stay or the room you book.

Optional extras

The following fees and deposits are charged by the property at time of service, check-in, or check-out.
  • Valet parking fee: USD 22 per day (in/out privileges)
The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change.

Hotel Name

  • Holiday Inn Express Historic District
  • Holiday Inn Express Savannah-Historic District Hotel Savannah

We should mention

Children 17 years old and younger stay free when occupying the parent or guardian's room, using existing bedding. The property has connecting/adjoining rooms, which are subject to availability and can be requested by contacting the property using the number on the booking confirmation.


Sorry, we seem to have had an issue loading our review content. Try again?

Top Positive Review

Top Positive Review

Top Critical Review