This hotel could be excellent if refurbished
Posted Feb 14, 2017
We stayed in a deluxe room at Cinnamon Grand for seven nights.
There are a number of excellent qualities about the hotel, such as:
1. The level of service: we were allowed to check in early as our flight had landed very early in the morning. Staff in general were very helpful and courteous.
2. The choice of restaurants and the high quality of the food: there are around 14 places to eat and drink on site, of which we tried around six. Seafood at the Lagoon restaurant was exceptional.
3. Convenient location: adjacent to Crescat shopping mall and within walking distance of Galle Face. Most tourist destinations are a short cab ride away.
However, there are a couple of pressing points which really do let the hotel down and need to be addressed straight away:
1. The bathrooms are in desperate need of refurbishment. They were dated, slightly odorous and the fixtures and fittings were crumbling. The standards are what I would expect of a 3* hotel, which I find unacceptable given the high price paid for 5*.
2. The wifi connectivity is patchy at best. Cinnamon Grand markets itself as a business hotel and therefore one would expect wifi connectivity to be continuous. However connectivity would regularly drop off and at one point, I waited almost two minutes for one webpage to load.
Unless these points are addressed, we would not choose to stay at Cinnamon Grand again given there are number of new 5* hotels nearby which are in the midst of completion (Hyatt, Shangri-La)