Clean and tidy hotel
Posted Feb 10, 2017
My husband and I had been recommended this hotel by family, who live around the corner. We wanted to stay at a hotel because I'm heavily pregnant and it was our last opportunity to stay somewhere together before the baby comes. We checked in early in the afternoon and were relieved to shower and sleep. We had been asleep for about an hour when we awoke with a start to the room's fire alarm going off and there being smoke in the room. We called reception, but there was no answer. We dressed and went downstairs. A lovely fellow came upstairs to investigate. My husband had already opened the windows. The man brought a fan in to help get the smoke out. After sometime, I started feeling nauseous and my eyes were burning, so I sat in the hallway. My husband soon joined me. This was ridiculous. We went downstairs to ask to change rooms. A different man was at the reception and was unaware of what had occurred and seemed annoyed that we wanted to change rooms. He came up to have a look and agreed that the room smelled of smoke. My husband pointed out that it was a toxic, burning plastic smell. The man said he would see if there was another room available and call us, which he did in about 20 minutes. He said that a girl would call in "a couple of minutes" to advise which room was available. There was no call so we decided to wait with our things downstairs. The reception was not busy and we were given the card for the new room immediately. Nobody apologised for the inconvenience.