Visiting Tongariro National Park
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Tongariro National Park, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views, lively bar scene, and top-notch restaurants. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its ski areas. Top sights in the city include Mount Ruapehu and Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
- There are 44 hotels and other accommodations in Tongariro National Park
- The closest major airport is in Taupo (TUO), 44.3 mi (71.3 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Tongariro National Park
The hiking trails, mountain views, and volcanoes highlight the city's natural beauty, and Mount Ruapehu, Tongariro Alpine Crossing, and Mount Tongariro are worth a visit. Skiing is one of the top activities, while Iwikau Village, Whakapapa Ski Area, and Tongariro National Park Whakapapa Visitor Centre are favorite sights to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Turoa Ski Area and Mount Ngauruhoe.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 44 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Tongariro National Park. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Tongariro Crossing Lodge - With a stay at this 3.5-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to a bar and free train station pick-up, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and comfortable rooms.
- Skotel Alpine Resort - Our customers like the bar and convenient parking at this hotel. This 3.5-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Chateau Tongariro Hotel - This 4-star hotel features 2 restaurants, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and dining options.
Dressing for Tongariro National Park
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 77°F and the nighttime average to be 52°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 70°F during the day and 41°F at night
- July through September averages 64°F during the day and 40°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 75°F during the day and 46°F at night
- About 39.54 inches of rain falls on Tongariro National Park each year
- Hottest months are usually January and February with an average temperature of 76°F, while the coldest months are July and June with an average of 41°F