Moisture issue not suitable for persons with aller
Posted Sep 7, 2016
I checked into my room and immediately noticed a damp moldy smell. I asked for housekeeping to spray Lysol in my room. I have sinus issues and mold makes them worse. For the entire stay, I couldn't shake the smell and then on the 4th night I realized that the machines in the hallway were dehumidifiers, and I also noticed there were towels in the hallway to sop up moisture. I've returned home with a sinus infection and I'm very unhappy because mold is hazardous!
Comment from Hotel Management
Sep 16, 2016 by Online Customer Support, Hotel Management
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for the dissatisfaction of your stay, in regard to the overall cleanliness and condition of your room and the hotel. We will review the conditions of our facility to make sure all areas are up to standards. Your feedback is very beneficial and will help us facilitate all necessary hotel improvements to ensure a positive guest experience.