Leftover food in the microwave, bugs...
Posted Oct 17, 2016
This was a thoroughly disgusting experience. Food left in the microwave, leftover food in the refrigerator, dead bugs in the room. We had booked two nights here, but were so grossed out, we forfeited the 2nd night pre-pay and found another hotel.
Comment from Hotel Management
Dec 27, 2016 by Guest Relations Manager, Hotel Management
Dear Mom & Daughter,
I am terribly sorry to learn that you experienced so much difficulty during your stay. It is through feedback like yours that we are able to quickly address housekeeping and maintenance issues. The fact that we've failed in this regard is very disheartening. On behalf of our entire staff, we thank you for choosing our hotel and hope you give us a chance to serve you again and will experience the improvements we have made with our service.